WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Searching for an Elgin 17 jewel with Locomotive engraved on the case-back
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Searching for an Elgin 17 jewel with Locomotive engraved on the case-back "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1194
posted
My Name is Mary Jane Sanders, and I am a new member.
I met Lindell when I bought the collectors watch book, and did not understand it, since I am not really a collector, just looking for a very special watch like the one my Father had. Lindell was so nice, he called me and we talked for hours, he was trying to understand what I was looking for and help me figure out exactly what kind it was. I will always be grateful to him, that is how I got here.
He asked me to start a new topic, and that all the members are very nice, and would try to help me find what I am looking for. I am a shy person, so took a while to have the courage to write this.

I am looking for an Elgin, open face, 17 jewel railroad, pocket watch with a Montgomery dial, and the most beautiful engraving of a steam locomotive engraved on the back. Either gold or gold filled. I am almost sure it was early 1900's to the 1930 era. My father, who was born in 1910, had this watch, and I remember sitting in his lap at 3 years old and playing with it, and looking at the beautiful train. He taught me to tell time on this watch before I started first grade in 1958. Daddy was just a simple farmer who wore overalls everyday, and we worked from sun up till sun down. We went to town about once every two weeks, and there was a train that ran alongside the road, and Daddy would keep up with the train, in his 1951 Chevrolet pickup, with the Conductor waving to me and blowing the whistle. The train was THE GAINESVILLE MIDLAND, a coal burning steam train, exactly like the one on the watch. He lost this watch to a man he worked with who traded him a cheap Hamilton wrist watch and $10.00 for his beautiful watch. I know he did it because we needed the money. $10.00 was a lot of money in the 1950's to us.
I lost my wonderful Father to cancer, and miss him so much. I have been looking for this watch for many years, because it is so special to me. If anyone would be kind enough to help me I would be very grateful. I am proud to be a member of this unique club, and will always be grateful to Lindell for being so kind to me and trying to help, especially when everyone else I contacted was rude and just did't care.
Thank you all in advance, and I hope each of you have a BLESSED HOLIDAY SEASON!
Jane

Posts: 1 | Location: Northeastern Georgia in the USA | Registered: October 24, 2008
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Mary Jane,

That is such a beautiful story!

We become collectors because of the collectable item relating to something special in our lives. For you it is the special memories of your happy childhood and the part your daddy and his watch played in your learning about and relating to time and the world around you, having one like it today will be like reliving those delightful memories, how wonderful that will be.

I am sure that others will share pictures of similar watches and especially those that might be for sale.

Come on everyone, let's see your "choo-choo train case-backs" posted in this topic!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a picture of a train case a 18 size ,I like the train cases hope you can find the watch he had that would be great..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
HI Mary Jane, I have an Elgin with a "Numeric" dial, much like the "Montgomery" type but made by Elgin and I have a Gold Color 30's vintage RR case I can put this in.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The 17 Jewel Movment is a Pendant Wind and set "3-finger" style in size 16. That makes the watch easier to set than a Lever setting RR watch yet still keeps the feeling you are looking for. I can clean this up and sell it to you at a pretty reaasonable cost. If you are interested e-mail me at david@Glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What a wonderful story!

I think David is right, we may end up essentially "assembling" a watch similar to the one from Mary Jane's childhood. We can even have a dial specially made to order with "17-Jewels" so it matches with what Mary Jane remembers on her father's watch.

In the image below, a later style rolled-gold-plate case that has never held a movement. This topic will be a great showcase of "choo-choo-train" cases and maybe, just maybe we can help Mary Jane find exactly what she is looking for.

New-Old-Stock case Eek some still actually exist...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002