Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Info requested "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Would anyone have any information about a Hamilton 18Size watch, S/N 970557? Such as model, date of manufacturer, etc. Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Wayne,

Grade 924. Date would be approximately 1912. Was this the one I saw earlier today. If so, it was incorrectly listed as a 936.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Rhett,
That is the one, and it was tagged 924, but the sale listing indicated 936. Its been recased, but the movement is in excellent condtion. I'm not positive about the hands or dial either. Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hi Wayne!

Hamilton 970557 would be a 17-Jewel Open-Faced Grade 924 movement according to Hamilton records. The run is listed as 970001-971700 from 1912-1913 production. It was probably built in 1913 since it is from toward the end of the run. Total production of the 924 is listed as 138,306 produced from 1900 through 1926 available in both regular and gilt trim. The "gilt trim" would mean all the screws, the regulator and other hardware items would be gold plated.

The Hamilton 924 was a good quality movement and may have been accepted for RR Time Service on some U.S. lines as well as in parts of Canada. However since it was not adjusted to 5-Positions it is not generally considered a "RR Grade" watch as such.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Below, number 1438539 sold recently in our Chapter 185 Auctions...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell
The movement appears to be the same as the one in your photo, but it does not have the 924 marking. Do you have a photo of the dial of that watch?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

There are five images of 1438539 in our auctions under the "GREAT HAMILTON GLASS BACK" title. Rhett may be able to tell us for sure, but I'd expect a single-sunk dial to be correct for the 924 such as you see in the image below.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Wayne,

Unfortunately I didnt pay that close attention to the dial and hands on your watch. I do remember it had a single sunk dial which would be ok as Lindell pointed out.

Rhett

P.S. The auctioneers mistake which resulted in a 992B selling for $35 sure got everyone excited.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
$35.00??

Gotta be a good story there!!

Youze guyz in ca-hoots!! Wink

posted
A picture of the Hamilton 924 dial. The auctioneer made several mistakes when describing the watches, but it was getting towards the end of the day. But someone got a great deal on the 992B.

Dial

posted
And the movement. Sorry about the quality of the photo's, but I have not unpacked all my camera equipment. Note there is no 924 stamped on the movement. I don't know if this is unusal or normal.

Mvnt