Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private label watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Does anyone know when the U.S. watch companies got out of the business of making private label watches? I kind of think it may have stopped when the wrist watches started to tale over, but don't really know and I've never seen this talked about before. Thanks!

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I think that private label pocket watches started to fall out of favor in the 1900s. By the 1910s, the railroad time services had banned their use for railroad operations.

Posts: 10 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2022
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Alan.

IHC Member 1911
posted
In my database I have private label watches listed up till around 1918 or so- After that you see alot of named watches but very few Jewelers names etc.

Terry

Posts: 79 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 12, 2013
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for that Terry.I always figured the watch companies made a lot of extra money making PL watches, since most of them did it. I think the king of that must have been Illinois, there seems to be way more Illinois PL watches out there. I think probably South Bend had the least.