• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B Black hands process "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does any one know how hamilton achieved the black finish on 992B hands most of us know how blue hands were achieved but I am not really sure how the black was aceived

Posts: 68 | Location: New South Wales, Australia | Registered: June 21, 2015
IHC Member 785
posted
Just looked at my 1946 992B Hamilton. The hands are black Porcelain not blued.

Harv

Posts: 158 | Location: Sacramento, California USA | Registered: June 26, 2006
posted
Thanks Harry

posted
Thanks Harv (phone can't spell)

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jeff,

If I recall correctly, the metal starts out as black and then is heated to achieve other colors. But perhaps Harv knows more about the black color and method for achieving and maintaining same. Maybe that is best done with chemicals as in gun bluing.

Here are the different temperatures (in degrees fahrenheit) of "quenching" process which is a sudden immersion in oil, for the "bluing" process for watch hands and the effect on final color.

These are the most common...

525˚ Purple / Illinois "Plum"

550˚ Full Blue

575˚ Medium Blue

600˚ Pale Blue

IHC Member Harold Visser literally invented what he referred to as a "bluing contraption" and lists an almost infinite pallet of colors.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/...643949277#4643949277

It really is a fascinating subject.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I think harv got it right looks as if a different process to blueing has a different depth of colour to blueing though not sure really is interesting to how it was achieved though

posted
In modern guns, the blue is actually black. It’s achieved by immersing the polished metal in a hot (295F) caustic solution for 10 minutes or so.
I would not be surprised if this was the method used. I have also seen black chrome plating before.

Robert Miller
Senior Paint Engineer
Toyota Manufacturing North America

Posts: 15 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi in the USA | Registered: November 12, 2018