WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"The Manhatten" that went under the Illinois Radar "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This s/n 3680709, Hunter-Cased Illinois 16s model 6 mvt in 21J, adj 3Pos., and double signed; "The Manhatten, N Gamse New York" was part of a 200 piece run of these Illinois Pvt Label named watches that apparently went "under the radar" of the famed "Blue Book" which does recognize this named watch but only as an Open-Faced model and some sort of "A.Lincoln" type. Would that mean that only 200 of these were ever made?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Closeup of the signage

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
David,

I don't know, you're the expert! I just wanted to post to say that I really like the Illinois name placed in their signature arc above the seconds bit. That's really a very pleasing dial and I've never seen another one like it.

How many pocket watches do some of you guys have anyway? What a bunch of insane collectors! I have about 4 or 5 really good ones and perhaps a dozen or so stragglers but I picture in my mind trays stacked upon trays that are kept in those giant half ton antique jewelers safes that you guys open in the morning to decide which watch will be you favorite for the day. I did actually have a lot more when I was repairing but the most I ever had at one time was about 40. I sold most of those as my interests shifted to family and glass working. What a deal. I really like being here as there is daily something new to see.

Cheers David.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
William, For me collecting fun things is more rewarding than savings accounts and stock markets. Presently Pocket Watches have done an Admirable job in that part of my world. Especially this week!

Also, I think it matters little how many of these things one has because we can only enjoy one at a time anyway. In this group, it is equally as much fun to see what our colleagues have of all sorts of timekeeping gadjets!

Also, thanks to IHC185 members and resources, I have more than doubled my personal enjoyment and cause for collecting Time pieces.

As for storage of my stuff, where I live, a safe is a liability almost as great as a thief. Heck what if I forgot the combination! In our area of the county we are more concerned with coyotes and hungry eagles bothering our smaller pets. When I lived in the city, only one thief made the mistake of coming into my yard, and my Great Dane (and best friend) "Tadpole" held him until more help came and rescued the thief to a nice warm jail with clean trousers!

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
David,

All responses acknowledged and received with good spirit. Thanks for showing the really nice Illinois private label piece.

P.S. Do you have a decent Illinois 12 size metal dial that you would sell? Check out my post here:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2386036171/m/4371051223

Thanks,

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
Thanks to you and others, surfing through the IHC 185 site is alway an education. Keep the great post coming when you find time.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
William, I checked all my dials and actually have nothing in 12s Illinois. You might check with Robert Schussel (sp?), I think that he has some 12 size material.

Ed I really enjoy the help and encouragment from IHC 185 memebrs when trying to research these watches. The fun is in the chase!

posted
Dave,
Sorry to be so late in responding to your message here of 2008. I don't know of any available record that shows how many private label, open face, 'Manhattan' movements Illinois made for Nicholas Gamse. However, the Manhattan is a Grade 606 watch and there were apparently 4715 open-face movements produced in the Grade 606 HC variety. Obviously, some of these were for private label watches.

Gamse also ordered open face 'Manhattan' models in this Grade. I am posting here, below, some pictures of one of these open face models with serial number 33715595 coming from a run of 600 movements. It is possible that not all of this run were private labels made for the same retailer.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
Open Face dial for a Gamse 'Manhattan' watch...

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009