Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I very seldom see Hampden Watchs discussed. Well here help me with this one. Need a date when it was produced.Serial no 215414. Need any information that you can give.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Keith,

According to the information on page 121 of the Hernick-Arnold Hampden Book number 215409 is listed as 18-size, 11-Jewel, Hunter, Nickel Plates, Model 1, Unadjusted, Lafayette Grade produced in the early 1880s time-frame.

Looks like an interesting example of a Springfield Hampden.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Keith,
Here is a photo of my Hampden Mdl. #1, grade #30.
They are great running watches, though not fancy.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi Lin

Thanks for the information.

I do have one more question. If this watch is key wind and key set, would it make any difference as to open face or hunter?

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Keith, If you look at my and Ed's Hampdens which are both cased "open Face", there seems to be little difference from yours except the orientation of the movement inside the case.

As for posts about Hampdens, I have said a lot ever since I learned (only because of the Hampden History Book available here on IHC185 "Springfield to Moscow") That 3 generations back a family member was a founder ("funder" was more like it, he owned a couple Bankls in Springfield) of Hampden W. Co., Springfield.

btw this Hayward is on the bench for cleanup and I will post some pics later this week.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Here is the one I own.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I love Hampdens! I have owned The Lafayette in keywound and stemwound and the same movement labled Monitor. The nice thing about Hampdens is that they are not so collected yet they made some nice watches.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009