Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Happy Birthday Mr.Lincoln! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
In commemorating Abe Lincoln's birthday of Febuary 12th, I thought I would get a thread rolling on Illinois A. Lincoln pocket watches. Did a little research in Shugart book and discovered only two A. Lincoln pocket watches listed in 18s, both 21j. There are two 16s listed, both 21j, and three 12s listed, one 19j and two 21j.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Lincoln watch in my collection to share at this time. Do we have any members with A. Lincoln watches in their collection who would share them with us?

If anyone has any contributing information regarding these watches, please feel free to comment as well! Anyone want to discuss these watches?

Anyone know how old Mr. Lincoln would have been tomorrow? Big Grin

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Abraham Lincoln and son Tad.

Notice Tad's watch chain! Would love to see what was attached to Tad's chain.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Mr. Lincoln and Tad are both wearing pocket watches. Would anyone like to guess what kind of pocket watches they are wearing?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Mary Edwards, great niece of Mary Tod Lincoln(Abe's wife).

Mary is 16 years of age in 1882. I sure would like to view her pocket watch. Looks like a 6s, hunter, etched case!

Any guesses?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
I believe they wore a 18s Waltham Wm. Ellery Hunter. Steph as soon as i can show a photo. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This 12-size A.Lincoln is one of only 1200 made for hunting case. It has a presentation date of 1916.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Here is what I found about President Lincoln's pocket watch:

Abraham Lincoln owned and used a Waltham William Ellery model 1857 pocket watch, 18 size, eleven jewels with solid steel balance wheel. The serial number of his watch is 67613. It is now on display at the Smithsonian Museum.

Abraham Lincoln was born February 12,1809 and was assassinated in 1865. Tomorrow is his 195th birthday.

The attached picture is of a model 1857 watch movement similar to what President Lincoln owned. Smile

posted
16sz Abe Lincoln...

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
But thought I would share some photos of Webb C. Ball's 100 year commemorative to the birth of our 16th president ...

Inside of Pamphlet

Back of Pamphlet

Cool

Fred

Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
for this topic I deliver a newly purchased 18 size A lincoln with a heavy 4 oz coin silver case.

Bernhard "the swede"

Lincoln

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Fantastic Bernhard that's a nice one!

But wait a minute, I had you figured to be a VOLVO driver!

Get it... that's a Lincoln... OK, I'm not a real comedian. Big Grin Wink Roll Eyes Eek Confused

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Oh yes, I think you are a comedian Big Grin Wink, but Volvo, no. Sometimes I actually drive a 1944 Willys Jeep, a real war vehicle.

Bernhard "the swede"

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Cool!

Let's see a picture of that rascal!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
....the red one served in the 50´s and 60´s as a fire fighter viechle on a small airport in Sweden. This belong to my partners parents. The green one is my partners and we are about to get this beauty together. Both are 1944 war machine jeep´s.

Bernhard "the swede"

jeep

posted
Thanks Ted,

Jerry T.,
Thanks too for sharing your 12s A. Lincoln and the info as well!

Phil D.,
Thanks for providing us with info on Mr. Lincoln's watch and related info. Has anyone visited the Smithsonian and viewed Mr. Lincoln's watch?

John P.,
Thanks for a pic of your 16s A. Lincoln.

Fred,
A thank you for sharing a commemorative pamphlet.

and Bernard,
Congrats on your beautiful watch! Great you were able to share your watch as well as pics of your two war jeeps.

Thanks again to all! I enjoyed our tribute to Mr. Lincoln through horology and hoped everyone did as well!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979