• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

To clean or not to clean?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just picked up this interesting little 12s art deco Burlington. It nice but common 19j movement, but the matching Burlington case got me. Please study the dial in second photo. It has a little staining around the hands and a spot here and there. It looks like brushed metal with painted numerals?? I would like to clean up a little, staying away from the numerals, etc.

1. Is it safe to clean this dial ?

2. What you recomend as a cleaning method/material?

3. Should I leave well enough alone?

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
posted
Here is the dial in question...

Gary

posted
Photo looks worse than in hand, maybe the crystal is causing it to look spotty. Only real serious stain/spot is around the hands. A main question is, is the dial brushed metal or is it painted all over?

Gary

posted
I would be very careful about cleaning painted dials. Some mild dish soap cant hurt. But be gentle. The nice thing is that if it gets to bad there are places that redo painted dials.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Gary,
There is not too much to be done, the paint/finish has long gone, a gentle brush with a soft makeup brush may remove some loose dirt, if you are considering having it refinished, (the cost of which will bite heavily into the value for investment and any resale) you could try tepid water and mild soap knowing that can go either way damage/improvement. Or look out for a better dial is good option if you have the time and maybe buy a complete watch for the dial and make the best out of two from the parts.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I am going to guess that International Dial would charge between $30-$40 to refinish that dial.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Gary, International Dial is the best choice, in my opinion, washing is not going to help that much and as Chris says, it's a 50/50 chance either way....

Send them, International Dial, a copy of the dial photo above and they will give you a cost estimate....

Those 'Cushion' cased watches are nice and you have a nice Burlington....

Good luck in your search....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks all

My Nick Nolte mug shots made it look worse than it does in hand. It is running a little slow and I'll work out its other issues and see what it looks like after a little attention. If I'm unsatisfied at that point I'll have it renewed.

Yes Jerry, the case, and the fact that the watch appears original attracted me. The Cushion case design is relatively new to me (and I only want to collect a few 12's). But I have to say I like it now that I have one in hand.

Gary