Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ultrasonic Cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone;

I hope you won't think this is a lazy man's question but the truth is, I just don't know the answer.

Due to the fact that I couldn't possibly put a pocket watch movement back together again if I disassembled it, would it do harm to a movement if it were to be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner without disassembly? I would of course take it out of the case, and remove the hands and the dial but that would be about the extent of my very limited knowledge about watch movements.

If I had to guess, I'd likely say it wouldn't be a good idea to do this, but as I said, I really don't know the answer.

Thanks for any input on the matter.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
Bud-

It is not a good idea to do that to a watch movement. you cannot get all the solution back off/out of the movement. This is even true if you rinse it. The worst hit areas are the mainspring barrel and balance area. The watch will run fine for a while, but the excess solution missed ends up becoming very tacky and the watch seizes badly...

Trust me, I have run into plenty of them this way and they are not fun to re-clean. some guys cut corners to save time and do it this way and in the long run, its very bad.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Hi Jared;

Well then, that says it all for me. You know, I never thought about all that gunk gathering up in places like the mainspring barrel. Wow, THAK YOU very much for this information.

As I said, I had a hunch that it wasn't a good idea, and now I know why.

Thanks again Jared, I really appreciate the help.

Bud

quote:
Trust me, I have run into plenty of them this way and they are not fun to re-clean. some guys cut corners to save time and do it this way and in the long run, its very bad.

posted
Bud-

Not a problem. It lowers my chances of running into one if all watch collectors can educate people on it Smile

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Its not that hard to disassemble a running movement and put it back together. The problem you will run into are the ones that dont run. Buy a cheap waltham/elgin and give it a try.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
You know Jim, Some of the problems for some of us old toots are the lack of good vision and steady enough hands to return the parts even if we do know where they go! Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
Mike, this year I turn 49. While not old to some people. I am feeling my age. My vision isnt that bad, but I use 2.50 reading glasses with a loop that attaches to the glasses to work on watches. I can only do so much because of the degenerative disk disease doesn't let me sit hunched over a bench for long.
But I cant sit still. I have to keep learning because I would go stir crazy. I personally find a lot of pleasure in taking the watches apart.
I try to encourage people to try new things. Cleaning a non broken watch isnt that hard imho. The tools can be had on a budget. In fact all my cleaning tools cost about what one coa would run. If small watches are to hard , try a 18s first. Take pictures, and if you run into problems, post a question here.
Im also not suggesting taking apart a $500 watch. You can get a working 7jewel elgin to start on ebay cheap. If it works out, great. If not give your wife the untrasonic to clean jewellery. Put the 7jewel back on ebay for parts, you will probably break even.
But if its not for you, its not for you. I know not everyone will try it even if I suggest it.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
No, I just wasn't clear Jim. I've taken apart (and put back together)lots of watches.It's not the learning curve that I'm talking about. I'm just stating that at my age and condition it's a lot easier and still a challenge to work on clocks. I don't condone cleaning a watch or clock without taking it apart. Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
Understood, I hope I can find something to keep me occupied when I get to that point. Smile

posted
Hi Guys,I've been following this post since it started and thought I'd put in my 2 cents.I'm 72 and have arthritis in almost every joint,my fingers are knotty and crooked with almost no feeling in my left hand.(Thank God for Tweezers).I started repairing clocks as a hobby,then went to pocket watches.I tried to quit doing this several times but I always seem to find another old bone to bring back to life.It just takes longer and sometimes I break something.I guess what I'm trying to say is hang in there as long as you feel like doing it.Best regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Well, you're certainly right about that Jim. Although I must admit, I did try it once. That's why I asked. It was a total disaster because I just couldn't remember where everything went. What gave me the biggest problem was when I took the balance off. I undid the screw holding down the plate and this wire thingy hung up and then the balance wheel popped up and well..... that was that. Never again.

Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations" I certainly know mine Jim.

Bud

quote:
I know not everyone will try it even if I suggest it.