Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Deja Vu "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Sherwood
posted
Hello PW enthusiasts,

Please meet "Jack" and "Jill" Elinvar. After acquiring them several months apart, I disovered they came from the back-to-back Hamilton (992E) production runs #2 and #3.

Jack (on the right) is housed in the Keystone Railroader (Mainliner style) case while Jill lives in her own Hamilton marked Keystone Mainliner case. This makes for a very nice side-by-side comparison of the subtle differences of the two cases (which I read about and discovered on this board!). Two different Blind Man's dials let's me quickly ID them.

They were born c. 1936-1937. Does anyone know how many total "Es" were produced?

J&J Elinvar

Posts: 9 | Location: Plano, Texas in the USA | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
The total production of the 992E was 60,997.

I have no record of the 992 being sold in a Mainliner case.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great topic Mike!

Like Don, I feel the Hamilton Mainliner cases were used on the 950 Mainliner Elinvar watches produced in the 1937-40 time period. Here is a Find-Or-Search of "Hamilton Mainliner" with additional information. We've learned to "never say never" but the use of this case as original equipment on a 992E is probably unlikely. That takes nothing away from the watch, but is something to consider. Another point, if I'm not mistaken the 992 Elinvar was factory cased so the Keystone J. Boss Railroader case may be a replacement.

In sharing 992-Elinvars, here's a favorite of mine...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Oh I totally agree with your re-cased arguments. I was making my observations on the movement s/n's only.

I love the Mainliner and Railroader but just don't have the means yet to afford the 950 movement.

I think - the #10 case was the most likely shipped version. I'll check out the Mainliner discussion as well.

M~

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Michael,
The following factory case's would be correct for your 992E movements based on the following references:

Courtesy of Don

Hamilton Price List, dated Sept. 1, 1936, case No.'s 2, 8, and 10.

Hamilton Price List, dated April 1, 1937, case No.'s 2, 8, and 10.

Hamilton Price List, dated July 15, 1937, case No.'s 2, 10.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Thanks Robert! Always nice to pursue correct cases for the movements. This has been most helpful.
M~!

posted
Michael,
Below is the catalog introduction ad for the 950E "Mainliner" case.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
On the subject of 992E Hamiltons, I'll step in with my favorite. I posted about this one before, but it was a few years ago. Coincidentally, this is the cover feature in this month's "Horological Times" magazine.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
René,
Thanks for sharing the really nice No. 10, transparent timepiece.

Robert

posted
Outstanding! I'm becoming a 992E expert by the day. Thanks Rene for the great transparent #10 case.
M!

posted
Below is a 992E production chart assembled using the "Gelson Serial Number List".

The 1981 revision of Ehrhardt's book, Hamilton "Production Figures with Grade and Serial Numbers" shows a total of 60,997, 992E's.

The next revision of this book shows a new total or 63,497. This total is still short of the "Gelson List" by 403 movements.

Can anyone account for the difference between the two totals?

Robert

posted
Just received confirmation that the 1st run was a mix of 992's and 992E's. This would account for the difference.

Robert