Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting Waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Don't know what to say about this watch. I do not believe it is an original crystal plate from Waltham but rather maybe a watch school project. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. I have seen the crystal plate watches before in 16s and 6 size this one is more like a 10-12 size.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Rob,

The layout looks like the 10s keywind.
Same shape balance cock.

Pinned on dial, and 4 plate screws.
Is that a solid balance wheel?

Very interesting! Looks like a keeper to me.

Nice watch!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I agree Steven that's the reason I said 10s but it has been recased in what looks to be a newer 12s base metal case.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Rob,

is the clear material plexiglass, or glass? I sure wouldn't like to have to cut and polish quartz crystal for gilt gears and settings.

Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Good question I am not sure I will have to look closer at it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
A hot needle will let you know.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Well I believe it is plastic so as I originally thought it must be a project watch.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Robert i think it is very pretty i like it even if plastic.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 1736
posted
It's pretty impressive actually. A new spin on skeletonizing a watch.

I have a hard enough time maintaining alignment and clearances with the factory parts... I can't even imaging the tolerances on targeting the wholes that needed to be drilled to fit the jewels and screws and still expect this thing to go back together and run.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I agree with Paul as to the effort to fit a plastic top plate for the train. In comparing Rob's posted watch to a factory 18K cased version that passed through my collection, the issue becomes even clearer, as the plastic plate version has an un-jeweled pallet fork due to the severe limitation of drilling plastic with closely spaced holes.

Another thing of note is that this movement is a variant with a pinned dial (but a missing case screw) and the mainspring click spring located under the dial plate rather than assembled to the top plate, making this plastic conversion simpler.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I agree that it's plastic, most likely acrylic or polycarbonate. This is very disagreeable material to machine due to a very low melting point! I think I recognize the jewels; these were sold through S. LaRose and were from the Elgin factory. They were synthetic rubies set in un-sized and un-finished cylindrical brass settings.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
nice

Posts: 6 | Location: Western Tennessee in the USA | Registered: October 19, 2009
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I like it, imagine the skill it took to fashion it.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007