posted
Here it is.

Movement and dial iS marked.

J. E. Ellis + Co.

Toronto.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I believe your watch is an Agassiz. I'll post a pic of each of mine shortly.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is my size 6 PL Agassiz...I love this company Smile

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a size 8 Agassiz made for James Mix, Albany, NY.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the the James Mix dial and case. The box is also properly marked for James Mix.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a shot of another watch in my collection. This may lend credence to Eugene's watch actually being a Longines. The Agassiz examples look a lot like his watch, but, on the other hand, the regulator on his watch looks almost identical to the one on this Longines of mine.

IHC Life Member
posted
I just went back and compared the click ratchets on Eugene's verses my Agassiz AND THEY ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL. So what do we have? An Agassiz or Longines Confused

posted
Note the fishook shaped regulatur pin. Smile

regards
Gerald

agassiz

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
It looks closer to Agassiz. In my opinion. The click spring in the 6sz. Is a dead match.

The 43mm size fish hook is dead on match also.

The longines fish hook is close but not exact.

posted
James E. Ellis & Co ; Jeweler & Silversmith, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

James E. Ellis moved from Liverpool, England, to Canada in 1848 and was associated with Rossin Bros until 1852. He bought the business in that year and was joined by his son in 1862. The firm changed its name to J.E. Ellis & Co in 1877 in partnership with M.T. Cain.
The business continued until 1901.

Gerald

IHC Life Member
posted
While we are on the subject of Agassiz, I have been wondering about a feature on one that I lost the bid on last month on eBay. If you look closely at the balance wheel, there appears to be a glass cover over it. Has anyone ever seen something like this on an Agassiz before?

posted
Hi Bruce

I think the watch was running and the picture taken near the dead spot of the swing. One of the golden balance screws traced this ghosty reflection.

Regards
Gerald

IHC Life Member
posted
Gerald, the watch was being advertised as non-running and having a broken off stem down inside the movement. The dial was a very nice Tiffany dial. What you surmise could be right, but hard to say without having the watch in hand. I would have bid stronger for it but the thought of having to find or make another stem, along with finding the right size and type of case, made me hold back somewhat. I kept telling myself "just what I need...another project!" Eek

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Bruce, what do you think on this one, Agassiz? It would have been used in the mid 1880's, no markings.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Lorne, I'm no expert, but I would lean towards this being an early Swiss ebauche. The finish, jewel count, etc., doesn't seem up to the standards you would see for an Agassiz. Noticeably missing is that giant oversized jewel for the center wheel. The wolfs tooth ratchet wheels are pretty cool, though! Smile

posted
Hi Lorne

This is definitly no Agassiz !

Odd combintion; I have seen a few of those in the past weeks and they seem -hmm- wrong.

Regards
Gerald

IHC Life Member
posted
Lorne, that regulator on your watch that was a bit confusing due to it looking like a Longines feature, may have something to do with the fact that Agassiz eventually became Longines. The regulator may have been developed by Agassiz and used on late Agassiz movements just before Ernest Francillion inherited the company and began producing Longines watches. The regulator probably carried over to the early Longines, thus we see the similar regulators on watches from both brands. I don't know if I am right, or not, but it does seem feasible.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Thank you, Bruce and Gerald for your input. Here is the original thread regarding this watch in the European forum:

What Do You Think of My Latest CPR Dial?

The similar watch pic posted last in the thread sold for $500 but I think that was an anomaly, probably having more to do with the case than the movement.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Here is a photo of the dial side of the movement.