WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    The elusive 16S 21J OF Grade 806 Washington Watch Co Army and Navy
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The elusive 16S 21J OF Grade 806 Washington Watch Co Army and Navy "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Took a long time to find this one!

When collecting Washingtons (Illinois) you can get into a whole list of variants (as Illinois is known for) On the 16S 21 Jewel Open face Army and Navy for instance you have TWO separate Grades both marked differently.

The Grade 176 Army and Navy of which only 30 were made according to the Blue Book

And this one, the grade 806 made in 1918 and fully marked "Adjusted to Temperature and 5 Positions" showing 90 total made. This one is in a run of TEN.

These were catalog watches marketed by Montgomery Ward & Co and named for Presidents, The Liberty Bell, The Senate etc and few were made.

It also included the "Greenwich" 23 Jewel Diamond Ruby and Sapphire model which is the holy grail of Washingtons costing into the five Figure range today that is, if one could ever be found and out of reach of most of us collectors.

The "Army and Navy" series is my favorite of them all.

This one also has the correct block dial and a Star Stellar case with a neat 10 sided bow. The personalized inside back says "Omaha, 1933" leading me to believe this is a 1933 recase of this beauty, as I think the original would have had a Monkey Ward marked case which was replaced by this one for whatever reason.

This is the reason I like Illinois and all it's private label markings. They are tough watches to find and when you do it makes the "hunt" even sweeter. Here she is:

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Nice
here is one I sold last November
in our for sale section of forum
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6095371/m/3043935687

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
Peter;

That's the earlier version, the even tougher to find Grade 176! Notice it's a 1FB Getty Type

See folks, what I mean by "variants" and different Grades, if you want to collect BOTH 21 Jewel versions here they are.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Here's the Grade 176 that Peter sold last year

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Tom I just got it size 0 Washington Liberty Bell same movement pattern and cut as yours can you shade some light on how many made and so on serial # 2354492

IHC Member 1338
posted
Peter; Those 0s Liberty Bells are Grade 35. Showing 290 OF and 680 HC made in Meggers Blue Book. I may have one at home I think. Another Illinois book may show more or less but suffice it to say probably not much difference as production was low on all the washington grades.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Tom thanks for the info and I like the word elusive Cool on those Washington pocket watches
here is another one I have Monroe 15j size 16 from fellow member.

IHC Member 1357
posted
The only Washington Watch Co. I have is 18s. 17j.,
s/n 2300640=1910 gr.69 "LIBERTY BELL"

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Movement

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1911
posted
Tom

Nice Washington!
I have Open face " 806 " # 3145235 & 2769160- The hunter is even scarcer!!
The only Washington I don't have at least 1 of is the " Potomac "- still looking for a nice one.

T. Jones

Posts: 84 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 12, 2013