• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball 19j 16 size BRT "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm a new member to IHC 185. I've been reading some past discussions on Brotherhood watches. I've just had a BRT serviced and the watch is running, keeps great time, the best of any of my watches.
I think it is a Ball / Waltham. The watch had no hands and no crystal and had been long forgotten when I found it. My biggest two questions is it the real McCoy, and did Ball watches always come with a Ball case? The watch came from a watchmakers estate.

Posts: 5 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2011
posted
William,
Welcome. I'm not able to download the full picture. Can you try again with a smaller one and perhaps one of the movement.

Thanks.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted

Posts: 5 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2011
posted

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 William! Our membership includes a lot of Ball collectors, so you are in good company.

You have a 19-J Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen model, which appears to have an authentic movement and dial. The hands are wrong and it isn't in a Ball case, which it needs to be completely correct (as originally sold). All Ball watches of this vintage were originally sold in factory cases.

However, a railroad watch typically went through several cases in its working life, so many ended up in non-Ball cases.

One thing I like about 19-jeweled Ball-Walthams is that they have a smooth-winding jeweled barrel.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Very nice BRT watch !!

A bit of "fine~tuning" and you will have a true show piece !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thanks for the feed back. I'd like to find the correct hands and hopefully the correct case.
what exactly do the hands look like?

Is there a specific Ball case I should be looking for? I've seen Ball / Waltham 19j in different cases, all reported to be the original Ball case....

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Please post the serial number of the watch motor.

It appears to be B 200900

The correct serial number will be needed to steer you towards the right "era" case & hands.

Plus the fact that Ball Waltham's serial numbers were not in the chronological order that is standard.Eek

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009