Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OLD Hamilton Winding Stem "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have two old Hamilton size 16 stem wind and stem set movements that appear to need special winding stems. Model 972 s/n 62,776 and model 976 s/n 66,173. They are unlike any of my other movements even my other 972's and I have lever set and stem set models but not as old as these.

I took the plate off of the 972 to see how it operated and a piece of the old winding stem was still in there. So I have an idea of what the winding stem should look like, I think.

Does anyone have a photo of one of these winding stems they can share with me? Or better yet does anyone know here I can get a couple of these winding stems? If not I may be able to make on with my handy dandy new old lathe.

I have four photos coming up. The first on is a photo of the rear of the movement with the extra screw at the top that the newer models do not have. The next photo is of the top where the winding stem enters and works the lever that works the clutch. The last two photos are of what remains of the winding stem. The ring above the squared off end is what raises the lever that works the clutch. I suspect that there should be something similar above the lever to push the lever back down.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Top where winding stem enters

IHC Member 1610
posted
Broken stem #1

IHC Member 1610
posted
Broken stem #2

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
You will need a stem like this one. It fits inside the movement and you will need to adjust the stem screw (usually has an arrow next to it towards the top of the movement. Similar concept but not size to the 4992Bs stem.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dan. Well the bottom looks like I had imagined however the top does look like it goes into a conventional sleeve. Am I right? Do you have a picture of the sleeve that goes into? Thanks as always when you answer one question it always leads to another.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
That is correct. The ones I have do not go into a sleeve. I have a 974 and 975 and in both cases (no pun intended) the stem is locked in by the watch and there is a small dust cap over the hole where the stem goes through to keep it from wiggling and that is it, no sleeve. The stem is locked in by the small screw at the top part of the movement. I ended up taking one apart and messing with that screw to see how it raised and lowered the setting lever. You can see how it would lock down on the stem and that the peg would fit into the small groove on the stem (yours looks like it is broken right at that point) and would allow you to pull on the stem and adjust the hands.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dan. I think I have a clear understanding of how it operates now. I have a suspicion that this watch was scrapped for the case and the could not get the movement out so the broke the winding stem. It could have just broken on its own so now the search begins. Thanks again.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Glad to help, and good luck. I happened on to the 2 stems I have, one came with the watch, the other came with a case. I won a box-o-stems a day or two ago and if there is one in there I will let you know.

posted
Harry-

I have some of these, but the problem is you about have to have the case its going into to make sure the length matches up.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Yes Jared I see. I am going through my winding stems now. If I don't find any would you be willing to part with two of them? If so I can try to work out the details later. I have a lot of sixteen size cases. My watch needs a mainspring also so it is not a high priority right now.

posted
Well just joined the board once again. I was going though some of my old watches around the house and found a 966 and noticed it had issues. Guess I need to go though my old steams to see if I might have one. Looks like the 966 is rather rare with only 307 of them made. I need to get this one fixed and put up in the SDB.

Any hello again.

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hello Rick,
Yes a 966 sounds rare to me. When you get a chance I would love to see what one looks like. I have the 972 and the 976 that need the special winding stem and I was going through my movements today and I found a 974 that uses the same type of stem. So now I need 3! Well these will have to wait. I think I will habe ti try my hand at making one with my lathe I just got.