Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anyone Any idea what this may have been used for? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks,
Having a major sort out of my storage bins and dug this watch / clock out, no idea what it's been used for, and didn't know whether to post the thread in clocks rather than here.

It's quite a big thing at 58 mm (outside of the body), Swiss movement 52 mm diameter with 'Brevet' marked, serial 33236. Has a solid nickel case & hinged back cover, very good quality.
The bezel is solid brass with an ogee / coin edge, and had the remains of a flat glass in it.

The distance from the case flange to the bezel back is 1.8 mm, so looks like it went into a fairly substantial panel of some sort.
Wherever it was used, it had access at the bottom to the crown for winding and setting.

The remaining hand has luminous compound still (sort of) still in it, and suspect the numbers on the enamel dial would have had compound painted in too.

The movement has a split compensation balance and an overcoil hairspring, and the mainspring barrel looks as if it would do you injury if you got the wrong side of it. (mainspring appears to be broken, and the hairspring has broken off the stud)!

Any opinions welcome (I don't think it was a travel clock)!

Best regards
John Woolsey

8 Day clock

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Movement.
JW.

8 Day Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
John this is a travel clock the front unscrews off and fits into a leather covered case. You see the 1/8" area between the bezel and case that is where it fits into the fold up part of the travel clock. I will try to find one complete so you can see a picture. A lot of times the leather fold up case gets damaged over the years and gets discarded and so we are left with a bunch of these clocks.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
This is not one of mine but actually one I found quickly on Ebay. I figured I might be a few days looking through all my junk. You can see how it fits in and folds up like newer style ones.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Looks like John may have a 1920s style European Car Clock.

However it seems a little small compared to those I'm familiar with. There are a number of similarities between car clocks and travel clocks, both are very interesting.

Click these words a for "Find-Or-Search" about "Car Clocks" on our IHC 185 Discussion Site.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Rob,
Looks like you're spot on with your suggestion of it being a travel clock.
I looked through some of my old stuff and found one almost identical - but a fraction of the size.
I would not want to lug that thing around in a suitcase ...... maybe the owner was a tad myopic .......and had a valet Big Grin!

Lindell, I wondered too about it being a car clock, I think some may have been put to that use too at some point too.
The gap between the bezel and back was a bit too big for a dash panel though, and to be honest ....... a car of the age of that clock would have continually shaken the back open Big Grin

Looks like being a candidate for Ebay! No way I'll find a case for it.

Thanks for the search tip too!
Best regards
John

posted
You are right guys its a travel clock. Nearly all Swiss 8 day movements, manny makers. Old luminous hands and numerals.

You get could inventive with it,

Here's one in a piece I call
'The root of all time'
(Thanks Mike)

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006