• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B Boxed Set Auction on Heritage "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The weekly Heritage watch auction which ends today (5/17/11) includes a 992B boxed set
(lot 71083). As you can see from the picture the dial identification on the label "BMNUM" has been crossed out and "HG" written in by hand. Also "108" hand written below on the label (not sure want this means since the dial on the watch is an H.G. RWS #536).
When I saw this I wondered if it was a common practice for jewelers to change dials and hand mark the labels when they didn't have a watch with the dial that the customer wanted. Of course the owner could have also made the change later - no way to know either way. In any case the dial is correct for the 992B.
The watch looks good except for the cracked crystal.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
Here is the watch that is part of the set.

992B Set Watch

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Would the model 2 case be correct for this 992B? Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
possible that the original dial got damaged along the way and someone bought the ensemble and replaced the dial with an age correct dial but not right for the ensemble?

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Robert, the serial number on the box indicates that it is a 1941 Wadsworth #2 case. The movement number says that it is a 1941 - 1942.

Yes the Wadsworth case is correct for THAT movement, which is interesting as I was under the impression that they came from the factory in a different case. I really don't remember the exact case, but I'm sere Ed, or someone else knows.

I do know that, for a while Hamilton would let the dealers order them in the same case that the 992E "Elinvar" came in, and the Wadsworth #2 case was one of them. I just don't know how long that was allowed.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Larry,it just looks to be a odd combination to me.The watch sold for $638.27. Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes, as Larry said, the Case Model No. 2 was used as a factory case for 992B's of that vintage, and before that it was used as a factory case for the 992 Elinvar.

I have a 992B boxed set in my own collection that is a bit earlier than the auction example (serial #C20441) which is also in a Case 2 (serial #514368) with an HG dial (see picture).

Boxed Set (C20441) from My Collection

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I can see the 'B' stamped after the 992 on Ed's boxed set but I cannot see a 'B' on the box of the auction set....

Has anyone seen the 'auction' box in a clearer view...?

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Looks to me like that was added Jerry, so it could have faded over the years. Maybe they were usind up the labels they had left over fron the 992 inventory and just added (or typed) the onfo on them as they were doing them. The serial number is clearly a 992B number. Look at Ed's and you can see that it is not part of the 992 setting.

Thst boxed set looks like NEW ED!! Really nice!!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
There is no "B" there on either. I think Ed's box has a mark or cut or indentation. I believe the "B" model notations on boxes were added at around C150xxx on some boxes but not all boxes.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

A word or two about the Hamilton-Wadsworth Case 2 which was introduced in 1925 and discontinued in 1953 making it the longest continuous use of a Railroad Case design ever. Here is our where you will find a synopsis describing each of the Hamilton-Wadsworth cases...

CLICK FOR: Hamilton Wadsworth Case Numbers History and Database

Looks to me like the auction dial has some significant hairlines. It is unfortunate that someone scribbled on the label, for the sake of the buyer let's hope those revisions are in pencil and can be carefully erased, but I never would be that fortunate, for me it would turn out to be Roll Eyes permanent ink.

The label originally stated "BMNUM" and when translated that means "Blind Man's Numerical" which is a term they used beginning in 1918 when the basic style of dial was first introduced. That really is what they called it, the theory being it was so bold and bright that even a blind man could see it. Frankly I'm embarrassed to type those words, but the fact remains it is one of the most popular dials and in my opinion one of the best looking they ever made. That dial with "Hamilton Railway Special" signature was later designated a "537" and when paired the Case 2 featuring "Hamilton Railway" on the crown Wink it sure makes a statement.

DIAL INFORMATION: Hamilton 992, 992E, and 992B Case & Dial Identification. (1924-1971)

BMNUM dial was attractive and very popular...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002