Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Service Award Pocket Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
People collect are sorts of items for various reasons. I'm sure there are collectors of Service Award Pocket watches. I have none in my collection. Frown Do you? Would you like to share your collection of Service Award Pocket Watches with us? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Yes, it's a wristwatch, but it has a 16 size pocket watch movement inside made in the 1st Moscow watch factory w/equipment purchased from the defunct Dubber Hampden company.

The inscription states,"20 Years of Red Militia. To Comrade Matvienko N. P. for Protection of the Revolutionary Order. From the NKVD of Belorussia. November 19, 1937" Soviet presentation watches were often given out during the anniversary of the October 1917 Revolution, which was celebrated during November of each year.

The NKVD was an early form of the Soviet KGB. I must confess that given the ruthless activities of the NKVD at that time, it makes me nervous to think what atrocities Matvienko must have witnessed or engaged in to be awarded a watch!

To study history is to appreciate your freedom and guard it jealously!

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This was a good idea, Stephanie. It's hard to understand why no one is posting anything. So, here is another:

It says in German, "souvenir of my [military] Service" The men are standing around an early Krupp gun. As we can see, one of the men is about to fire the field gun by pulling a lanyard. The helmets have ball tops for artillery instead of the spike tops of other troops. The engraving is on a cheap, cylinder, Swiss, bar-movement key-wind. I would think the watch was made around 1870 - 1900.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg C.,
Intersting post of your historical service award wristwatch/pocket watch with historical info.

Awesome engraving on your german p/w.

It seems service award wristwatches were more common than pocket
watches.

Thanks for sharing Greg!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
I have an 12 size 14k gold 21J Lord Elgin from Standard Oil of Indiana (Amoco). A nice little watch I was meant to own since it's inscribed 1915-1957 and I was born in 1957 and worked for Standard/Amoco for 22 years.

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
posted
Great running little watch.

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
ttown, I just came arcoss this one today. The watch is the same 21j Lord Elgin in a 14K case. This dial has some spots on it, but the inscription on the back is from Ford Motor Company for 35 years of service. Note facsimile of Henry Ford II on the bottom.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Ricky,
Neat service award watch you own. Sounds like it was meant to be yours!

Tom Sey.,
Nice inscription! Will you be researching original owner's name? Roll Eyes

Other service award pocket watches you may want to share?

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is another service award watch. It is from the Packard Motor Car Co. It is a 10s, grade 917, 14K Hamilton. I was luck enough to get this in the original box.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The dial is in excellent condition.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The inscription.

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's a beautiful example Tom, thanks for sharing it!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Hi everyone,
The inscription on the enclosed watch reads:
1892 New Haven Connecticut 1917
Presented To
John Keeler Punderford
V.P. & G.M. Of The Connecticut Co. And The Westchester St. R. R. Co.
July 2, 1917
By Members Of The Operating Departments Upon His Completing Twenty Five Years In The Electric Street Railway Service

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
dial

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
movement
One of these days I'm going to have to get better pictures of this M.T. Stauffer Repeater
Fred

IHC Life Member

posted
This is a Hamilton 918. Father H. O. Bowman was the Episcopal priest that married my wife and I in July of 1966. I think 1929 was probably the year he was ordained.

IHC Life Member

posted
movement

IHC Life Member

posted
face

posted
Tom S.,
What a fabulous service award P/W! And the box! Nice going Tom. What about that unusual name, Greek? Have you researched the name of yet? Thanks again for showing and bringing yet another old thread to life!

Fred H.,
A fabulous service award P/W. If only we could listen to it! Smile
Very nice Hamilton too. Would love to know the story behind the acquisition, particularly since the priest performed your nuptiual vows!

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC Life Member

posted
Stephanie,
After Father Bowman passed on, the family sold the watch to the watchmaker who had serviced the watch in the past. The watchmaker is a personal friend and knew that Father Bowman had married us, and asked if I would like to have the watch.
Fred