• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

number of jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone tell me how many jewels are in this Columbus PW? Serial number 173890.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2008
posted
Hey John, looks like either 11 or 15 jewels,depending on whether it is jeweled on the top plate,like it is on the bottom plate. Sometimes the makers only jeweled one plate to make it look like a higher jeweled watch. If it was 17 jewels or higher,the center wheel would be jeweled. I don't know of anywhere it can be looked up by the serial number.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
Thank you very much, that helps.

jg

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
John, as a rule, when there are 4 top plate jewels pressed in and no "micro-adjust" on the regulator that says 11 Jewels.

15 Jewel movements often have a Micro-regulator as do many "honest" 11 Jewel types that show only 2 (Jewel-screwed in) train jewels on the top plate.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you David, I will consider that the definitive word on the subject.

jg