WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Does anyone know these Pocket Watch Case Markings? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have a couple of case markings that I could use some help on. They both look like gold plated or filled and I'm pretty sure one of them is but I have no clue on the other one.
Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
If I'm reading the price guide correctly and assuming the price guide is correct the following two photos indicate 14kt gold filled 25 years.

Correct?

IHC Member 1610
posted
On dust cover.

IHC Member 1610
posted
This one I can't find anything out. Is it gold or brass?

IHC Member 1610
posted
This may be a little better. It is a very nice case with the cleanest movement I've ever seen. It is an Elgin and I bought it in hopes that the I could use the case on another watch but this one is so clean I am rethinking that.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Ok I know with all you watch experts out there someone has to have come accross this marking before. I sure hope it is gold plated.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Can't tell you what it is made of but the symbol with the flag was by the Fahy's Watch Case Company of New York.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The first example is indeed a Keystone "J.Bos"s Gold-Filled 25-Year case. As shown correctly on page 37 of the 2011 Complete Guide to Watches ($27.95 US currency to any IHC member anywhere in the world!) the crown above the scales is 14K Gold-Filled and without the crown 10K Gold-Filled. Very easy to remember along with the fact ANY of the "J.Boss" cases mean Gold-Filled, after all he patented the G.F. process!

As Tom explained correctly the second case is a Fahys "America" which taking it a step further was their model name for a "5-Year" Rolled Gold Plate case. RGP is much thinner and prone to wear.

Hope this is of additional help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Tom and Lindell. I knew that somebody out there could help me. That is indeed great news. I have a Elgin with this case and the case and movement look brand new. The s/n dates it to 1893. there are no jeweler marks on the inside of the rear cover and I have never seen a gilt movement shine like this before. I will attempt to photograph it and show everyone later.
Thanks again