Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Philadelphia "Royal " 12s pocket watch case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I am in the process of listng some watches on the bay but I don't know what this case is made of. I have a Atlas size 18 that is made by Chicago but I can't find anything listed under Chicago Watch Co. for Atlas. Would I just look under 7 jewel and it would be the same?

Also I have a 17 jewel 12s Illinois model 5 (I think) that is in a beautiful gold colored case marked "Phila Watch Co. Royal 6600219". It does not say base metal anywhere I can find. Is it gold filled?

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Harry,that 18s Atlas may be an Elgin,they made full-plate 7J's marked Atlas, 18s Elgins have a plate style all their own, should be easy to tell by comparing...The Phila.Royal case I would think would be gold filled.Hope this helps, If I'm wrong hopefully one of the others will dive in!, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Ted. I'll compare the Atlas with some Elgins and see. Thanks. I am pretty sure it is gold filled but thought someone might know for sure. I did a search and a couple references came up but neither said one way or the other.

I had planned on selling the Illinois since I do not collect 12s but after I cleaned up the Royal case i could not get rid of it. The watch runs fine so I'll see if I can get the dial redone or find a new dial.
Thanks,
Harry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
In books I have it lists the Royal cases as 20 year gold filled cases.

On the Atlas, are you saying that is the name on the case or the name on the movement? Atlas was a registered trademark of the Louis & Brothers Manheimer of Chicago Il. for watch cases.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Tom. The dial and th movement both say Atlas. The dial says "Atlas Watch Co." and the movement says "Atlas Watch Co. Chicago USA".