WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need hep with a Jewelers/ Railroad Inspectors name. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I have just purchased a 18sz Bunn Special that has the name of Artes + Alt, Evansville Indiana on the movement. It is 21 Ruby Jeweled, Serial # 1271580. I'm hoping he was a railroad watch Inspector. The dial is marked George Alt Evansville Indiana.

Sorry I can download photos right know it says there is a formatting error when trying to download to my computer. between my Kodak and my Mac.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Our extensive data base compiled by Tom Brown Smile

shows no RR inspectors by any of those names Frown

I would speculate that they were a retail jeweler in business at the time the watch was made.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I checked the data base before I purchased the watch and did not have any luck. I have only found private label 21 Jewel Bunn Specials to be from Rail Road watch inspectors. And I am hoping Tom Brown or some other member can give me some good news. It does have the Double sunk dial that should be on a high grade railroad watch.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
When I get a chance I will see if I can find anything. One thing to keep in mind there were thousands of inspectors over all those years & if they didn't advertise the fact or the railroad or newspapers didn't either then for now odds are slim finding it. New information is making it on-line everyday so if nothing comes up today it might next week or next year.

Some of the inspectors I have found were just from a passing mention in a newspaper article and none of their paid advertising even mentioned it.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I just found out 126 Main street Evansville Indiana. This is the site I found it on 

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is the ad from the book you found him in.

Also he listed as a railroad watch inspector for the L&N in 1894.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a photo of his store. Check out the great big watch outside his store. I would love to own that pocket watch.

IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Tom for your help. You are a true Asset to this Club. Big Grin

IHC Life Member
posted
There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I took photos with my Iphone than downloaded after I adjusted the lighting on the mac.

IHC Life Member
posted
One of the dial.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Just think what that would go for today.

Glad I could help, even though I didn't do much. I have about another 200 I need to add to my list.

On the people I have located I have saved an image of the magazine, newspaper or whatever I found them in. I had thought it would be neat to put together a booklet with the list & the images but after spending several years researching I just keep finding more names. I know I will just need to stop someday & move onto to the next step of making the book.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Does any one have any idea what these are they are on the watch chain that came with this watch.

IHC Life Member
posted
I'll say it again. I'll buy a copy and then in a few years another one with the updated ones. You can be a millionaire for the second time. Big Grin Wink

posted
Eugene,
the silver mounted item looks like a molar tooth of a pig, or related critter.
Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I wonder why some one would save that and put it on a watch fob. Confused Dumb!! I guess there was a shortage of chicken feet or raccoon feet,

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Could it be an Elk tooth? That was a popular watch fob for members of the B.O.E. in the 19th century.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Interesting observation; According to the record, 1271580 came from a 100 piece run 1271501-600 that are ascribed to be all made for Paillard Watch Co.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Gene,
For what it's worth, here's the entry for Charles F. Artes found in my copy of Indiana Siversmiths, Clock Makers and Watchmakers, 1779-1900, by Jerome Redfearn:

Charles F. Artes
A jeweler of Evansville, Artes began working for Bittrolff & Company in 1860. A native of Germany, Artes settled with his parents in Henderson, Kentucky. Charles Artes moved to Evansville to learn the jewelry business about the year 1859. By 1875, Artes opened his own jewelry business in Evansville, which later became the best known house in that city. His establishment was still in business in 1900. Charles Artes died in 1916.

I found no entry or mention of Alt.
Hope this helps,
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I forgot I did find George Alt, he had been a jeweler in Iowa, I will get the info & post it later.

Tom