• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

how to organize movements "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
How do you guys that work on watches organize your movements? Do you put them in separate containers, or have a thing of drawers? And do you keep them assembled or in pieces?

Also, do you keep notes on them all?

Just trying to organize myself now that I've accumulated quite a few watches and movements and want to know how the experts keep organized.

For example, I have about five Elgin grade 290's I've been practicing on and I keep them all separated with all their own parts with them. But is there any real reason to be so rigid about it?

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Dale,
I don't know how the experts do it but I like to keep the movements in a container if they're taken apart and keep them in a drawer in my tool box. Labels aren't needed because I can see what's inside. Any luck with the roller jewel?
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Oh, those are great containers. Where'd you get those?

Never did find that pesky roller jewel. The watch hadn't yet been cleaned, so every spec was inspected. I finally gave up and found another watch on eBay to use for parts. It was a good price because it wasn't working and had a cracked crystal. And it came with a beautiful bracelet that I think might be gold filled or better. The plated ones are so worn and this is perfect. So I need to really take a good look when I get a moment.

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
The containers came from Otto Frei. Dust Cover and Parts Tray I get stuff there because it's near where I work and that saves shipping costs. You can probably find the trays at other suppliers.
Those roller jewels sure are difficult. I can't quite get the confidence to put one back into a 18s I got. It's probably easier to get the roller and jewel already together for us beginners.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I use those same trays too, I get my on ebay, I think I just search movement holder & find them that way.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
quote:
But is there any real reason to be so rigid about it?

well you might get some nasty surprises if you think all parts are absolutely interchangeable,it might be the case , and it might not, so it is easier by far to isolate the parts from each movement to avoid any problems. The theory is that any mass produced watch has parts interchangeable with any other. This is usually so but not always,in my experience. Many watches were made in runs over a sometimes long period of time. If any of the machining changed over the time period,it might change ever so imperceptibly the fit of the parts. ,regards,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Tom, that' s precisely why I haven't mixed up the movements. I've been afraid that there might be that imperceptible difference.

Thanks Richard for the info. I'm glad I don't live too closely to Ofrei. I'd probably spend a fortune there! I'll check ebay for those trays, and if I can't find any I might just buy them from Ofrei. They're perfect.

Right now I have the plates in one little box and the parts in another. It's like keeping your clothes in a box and the matching shoes in another. That's why I label everything.

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Dale some great advice from above Smile
What I also do is photograph everything. From when I first receive a watch, during break down and reassembly to finished watch. I also have a master document that states, serials, movement grades, jewels, plate style, etc right up to case info, dial, hands and crystal. And lastly how it is running, service dates or parts needed.

I am probably over doing it, but for me it's all part of the hobby, and my insurance appreciates the images and documents for coverage.

Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
posted
I've started cataloguing everything too. And I have thought many times I should be taking photos of everything.

I also like to draw the parts of the movements if I'm afraid I won't remember how they go back together. Yes, I could take photos, but I'm an artist, and the little drawings I make appeal to my art side.

I was working on different little Bulovas with detent stems, if I'm saying that correctly, and spent lots of time drawing out how all the little pieces go back together. Of course doing that makes you really commit more information to memory...which appeals to my high school teacher side.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I always try to keep all parts together with the movement they belong to, I also use string tags for cases so they don't get mixed. My art skills are poor, but I also draw pictures, and make notes to myself for future reference, and if anyone finds the secret to replacing roller jewels, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007