• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

charles vander woerd watham balance images "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
where would I go to find an image of the charles vander woerd waltham balance wheel non found by me on google just a lot of 1872 models? is there a book or a site that shows the balance wheel?

Posts: 11 | Location: Tampa, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 19, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
I am pretty sure Bill that the Pocket Watch Price Guide had a picture of one in it if you are referring to the saw-tooth balanceSmile

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Like most Model 1872s marked "Woerd's Pat. Compensating Balance, my example with that marking has the regular balance, which seems to have worked better than the Woerd balance. Perhaps that's why my watch was awarded a Class 1 certificate by Yale's Winchester Observatory.

Model 1872s with the "Woerd's" marking are scarce whether they have the Woerd balance or not. Waltham only made 100 hunter and 20 open face movements with that marking.

For an excellent photo of the real thing, see https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21971/lot/1228/.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 525
posted
Hello William, If you can find a copy of " Boston: Cradle of Industrial Watchmaking " - based on the proceedings of the 23rd. Annual ***** Seminar, there is a chapter dedicated to " The Life & Work of Charles Vander Woerd " included a lot of info, diagrams & pictures on his saw-tooth balance.

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
thank you very much members I found it in the tom engle guide I had one and with my lack of undertanding was looking 4 actual saw cuts in the metal not a pattern and sold one of these personally owned by Woerd long ago have a jules jurgensen now over& out

Posts: 11 | Location: Tampa, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 19, 2009