• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dual Nationality ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My latest acquisition seems to have a split personality, on the face of it this should be in the European PW Forum with it's nice clean Thos. Russell & Son, Liverpool dial

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
posted
But actually this is a Waltham G#635 Model 1908 17J c.1918. Intruigingly marked The "Russell" Model. Unfortunately the Hunter case appears to have gone to the great smelter in the sky but I have managed to locate a fair 20yr GF to house it, if I can find someone to do some minor hinge repair this side of the pond. I have added the second hand so it looks better already.

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
IHC Member 456
posted
Nice, I have never seen or heard of one before. Interesting dial with very large center sunk section.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
well,they made and named them for every jeweller and watchmaker between here and Timbuktu, so why not Blighty as well LOL Eek !! In those days America was a sea of Yankee traders and manufacturers,and led the world in quality mass produced watches and clocks as good as or superior to any hand made European watch or clock. Wink Look at the model 21 Hamilton Chronometer , what a magnificent accomplishment on the part of Hamilton Watch Company, to in short order mass produce the finest chronometer in the world in wartime !! God Bless America and good old Yankee ingenuity and "let's get to'it'ism"Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Illinois made a silverode or nickel,I'm not sure which, case that housed Thomas Russel movements and was called the"Russel Special".Watch ebay,I see one every once in awhile.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Gareth,

Cool item, great comments!

You have a very interesting, perhaps unique Private Label Waltham movement made specifically for the Russell and Son Jewelers. Apparently Waltham shipped movements to Great Britain for sale there, usually they will be in Dennison Cases and front what I have always believed to be English made dials. The big center section seems to be a trait of these beautifully crafted dials and a notable feature we find shared with some of the highest grade Waltham watches.

One that stands out in my mind is the Waltham "Premier Maximus" in my collection that I bought from a London-based seller. As you can see in the image below this post, there is the same style large center section that caught Mike's eye immediately. That one is the only known Premier Maximus example with English dial and housed in an 18K Dennison Case with Birmingham Hallmarks, that should give you some idea what was lost when the case from your Waltham was scrapped, the loss of irreplaceable cases is a world-wide tragedy that has had quite an effect on our hobby.

In your place I would do my very best to find a Dennison Case for your movement, a worthwhile alternative would be a Waltham-signed display case which would show off the matching movement and dial under glass. Unless I could find an unusually nice Dennison Hunter Case, which is nearly impossible, the display case would likely be my choice.

Lindell

Wink

Waltham Premier Maximus with large center dial...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
This is off the topic and a little silly but this photo of the Premier Maximus is the first dial picture of yours that I have seen that didn't have your signature positioning of the second hand pointing at the 50 second position................Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

HA!!! Big Grin YA GOT ME!!!

Thanks Keith,

I guess that is one of my little habits Roll Eyes must have been in a hurry that day!

Or... maybe the movement Razz crept ahead thirty seconds.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002