• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ultrasonic cleaning 2 tone movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi I have a columbus 2 tone movement I want to service can someone advise me if these 2 tone movements are OK to put through an ultra sonic cleaner without removing the gold layering and if so for how long

Posts: 68 | Location: New South Wales, Australia | Registered: June 21, 2015
posted
I don't ultrasonic movement parts since I don't do repairs on movements but I do ultrasonic cases and dials. Normally I do initial cleaning for the heavy crud with a soft bristle tooth brush and dish soap or equiv.
I normally do 2-4 minutes and have yet to wipe out a dial or damage a case. I don't do too many more minutes than that on a dial since some tend to have cracks and past damage but so far I have not lost any chunks or made any damage worse by going this route.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
I have done a few dials came up good I had old unwanted dial lot of hairline put it in cleaner to see how much punishment it would handle left it in for about 10 minutes with heat on full dial handled it OK except solder crumbled and was able to push out seconds sub dial at least I now know how to remove a sub dial when I need one for a replacement

posted
Hi Jeff , I am not the expert on this area , I would just use a good cleaner , L&R or similar . The loss of the tu tone cuts the value greatly.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thanks I agree once you've lost that finish you can't put it back not worth taking a chance