Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Latest watch find--Updated "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I just received this AWCo private label, model 1857, PSB, #411012. The waltham data base lists it as an 1869 made watch in a run of only 20 watches. The name on the movement is GW Hoff, Utica, NY, just up the road about 25 miles.
It is dirty but not abused at all. Perfect dial, hands, nice blue screw heads on movement. The high crystal is almost perfect with just a few light scratches. The case is a stiff bow, coin Keystone, very discolored but in very good shape with just 2 small dings near the hinge. The hinges work fine and the covers close perfectly.
It however needs a main spring and a good COA.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
GW Hoff is listed in the Utica business directory of 1867 as a "watchmaker/jeweler. With a business address of 88 Genessee St, and a home address of 47 Lansing St.
My next trip th Utica will have to include a visit to the historical society to dig up some more info on him.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, you have a prime candidate for restoration on three scores;

1. It is a very clean 15 Jewel P.S.Bartlett.
2. It is a Private Label Movement.
3. The case must be original to the watch making it worth somewhat more than the "bible" shows.

These are very nice, beautiful and simple to clean up movements!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I've been wondering when the watch companies began offering to make private lables. This is the earliest one I've seen. Great watch!

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
I did some more checking and here is what I found about early Waltham private labels. (AWCO.org)
"There are relatively few 1857 model Waltham watches that were made private label. There is a group of Appleton Tracy grade from the first year of production and then only scattered examples in later years.
This is one of the later examples with a serial number of 471269. The watch is signed Jasper Stone of Charlestown, Mass. (I had trouble copying the pic)
This is the PS Bartlett grade with 4 holes jeweled (11 jewels). This notation means that all the jewels are in the top plate, giving the appearance of a 15 jewel watch.
The Appleton Tracy private labels are most, if not all 4 1/2 pairs (16 jewels)with the solitary center jewel in the pillar plate rather than the back plate".
It appears we have two scarce Waltham's!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Good information!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
My latest watch find is a Waltham U.S.A., 16s,17j, model 1908. S/N is 21334163....
Seems to keep pretty good time but it is a bear to wind....What causes that????

Anyway, here it is...:

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
another 1

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
another 2

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
another 3

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
another 4

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
When I put new mainsprings into the 1908 which always had a motor barrel (btw), they can wind harder for quite awhile until the main "relaxes" some, and then they get better. I have been running a Crescent Str. here for 3 months and it finally is winding pretty easy.

Sometimes (if you are lucky) it is a small indexing error where the winding stem is jamming. You can check that by loosening the case screws slightly and trying to manipulate the movement better in line to the stem. AlSO, the winding stem could use a lube. My Crescent (love those 99-08 movements made before the bean-counters);

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I just received this Waltham back from Chris. Compare the before and after pics to see the outstanding work Chris performed on this old pocket.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Another

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Another

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Here is the silver one and another mdl 1857 that I sent to Chris at the same time. What a pair!

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Ed, Chris did an outstanding job on your two watches. Hard to imagine they are the same! I love old key winds. I know you are very pleased.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
What a great looking watch! Nice job!!

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008