Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Impossible to Find Mainsprings "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I collect ultra thin pocket watches. My watchmaker and I have found it impossible to find replacement mainsprings for many of them. Since I insist that all my watches be in good running order, I have had to sell off a dozen or more very nice watches for want of a mainspring.

The same issue is reoccurring now: My watchmaker is restoring a very nice 19k Bulova Phantom for me. However both the original movement and a spare movement I sent him need new T-end mainsprings: 0.93mm wide 0.25mm thick x 15” approx. long (90/95x25x15”). In Dennison that would be between a 0 & ½ x 0 x 15.

If any of you know where I can find such a mainspring or have one made, please let me know. I have found a manufacturer in Switzerland who will make mainsprings to order, but I expect only in wholesale lots. If any of you are looking for hard to find mainsprings and would like to consider joining me in ordering a batch from the Swiss manufacturer, please let me know.

If you have stems for a Bulova Phantom, I would love to buy them. The Phantoms my watchmaker is restoring are ##301 and 406.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Try horologyinmotion.org if no go I will check stock. I have a bunch of that little stuff laying around.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I have taken a look for that spring, but some of the springs I have only have part numbers on them. Do you know the Bulova part numbers?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 1613
posted
Ethan,
Is that a AP movement? I can't find any info on it...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thanks for the replies so far. My watchmaker does not have the Bulova part number and either has tried horologyinmotion.org or doesn't think it would be fruitful to try it. I don't know who made the Phantom movements. Some think it was made by Audemars Piguet (but they do not look quite like any of my Audemars Piguets),some think they were made by CH Meylan (but they do not look quite like any of my CH Meylans) and others attribute them to Frederic Piguet or other. There might have been several sources.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Some early Bulova pocket watches were made by Le Phare. (if memory serves it was caliber 17AA). I would check Le Phare listings.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Will do. Thanks.