Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about fitting hands. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Will a seconds hand from Elgin,Waltham etc.fit a Hampden? Assuming they are of the same size watch 18size etc. Roger

Related topic: https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6036171/m/9453989167

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The size of the pinion will all determine if the hands will interchange. Most have to be broached to fit. This is where an assortment would come in handy. And some little tiny broaches.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

There should not be a problem, I agree with Gene that "fitting" of the seconds hand is almost invariably involved, it must "slip" on the 4th wheel pinion pinion but not to much. If this is something we can do for you there are several of us who would be pleased to help. You have a beautiful watch that deserves to be completed properly.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1357
posted
Boy,I learn something with every thread I read.I assumed a18s. was an 18s.all using the same size pinnion.So much for assuming.Watch repair is a very complicated affair!I would like to have this watch completed properly and if anyone is interested in taking on this project just let me know!I need to stick to simply collecting and admiring these beautiful pieces of craftmanship.Regards Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Just to add a little information. Broaches I believe are useful to make the opening wider to allow the hand to slip on the pinion. But sometimes the issue is that the hole is to big and then you would need a tool to close the hole like a staking set.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010