WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    CHECK YOUR 992B YOU (STILL) MIGHT GET LUCKY! --- NOW WE GO TO PART TWO!
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

CHECK YOUR 992B YOU (STILL) MIGHT GET LUCKY! --- NOW WE GO TO PART TWO! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

CHECK THAT 992B YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY!

Vintage Hamilton Celluloid Watch Box for 992B

Here are the missing ingredients...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Geesh! I can't even find one close to it. Roll Eyes

Anyone else doing any good?

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Well only 59000SN# off. One can only hope. Have you checked your 992B watches? Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Say that's a good buy!

Vintage Hamilton Celluloid Watch Box for 992B

Went for only $255.00 which is a bargain for the plastic box alone.

Someone got a nice buy on this one...

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I agree Lin, a bargain, even for just the inner box. I paid a lot more for a similar set 2 years ago, but then I was fortunate enough to acquire the watch that went with them later, so I'm not complaining Big Grin

Here is another Hamilton inner and outer box set from the same seller:

Click here to view Hamilton box auction

Looks normal enough until you check the outer box label. Its a 992B label, but has "J395396 D" typed in (see pic). What do you make of that?

Odd-Looking 992B Label . . .

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Odd looking is right Ed, but this this is not the first time we've found such a label with only one typed-in number (more about that later) but this one may be the oddest we're likely to find!

Let's begin with the obvious, the label relates to a Hamilton 992B but not to any specific 992B movement that we'll likely ever be able to identify. Ironically a Hamilton with movement number J395396 would be a Grade 982 wristwatch from 1947 production but I think we can conclude that is merely a coincidence and not related to this label. However, the reference we see to "Dial 121" on the label makes perfect sense, that refers to the double-sunk Hamilton Railway Special marked Heavy Gothic or squared-off numerals melamine dial.

Now we move to the case references on the label. We see "Model No. 2" which in the very last examples are known to have been just a slightly above that J395396 case number shown on the label, the box and label are a significant collector's item due to that very high number. In fact, there is recorded a 992B number C413843 in a Case Model 2 bearing case number J393997 and it likewise came with a 121 dial apparently during 1954 production. Based upon that example, common sense and logic would make the original watch movement to the auction label somethng in the C413000 area or a bit higher.

How did this oddly marked label happen? My guess is that some bleary-eyed typist on a long-forgotten sleepy Monday morning in 1954 made three mistakes which resulted in what we see in the auction...

Looks like the first error was to begin by typing in the case number rather than the movement number. The second mistake was to type it too high on the label so there was no room for the movement number. And the third mistake was to just let it go rather than beginning again with a fresh label. Typical Monday morning.

Speculation? Of course it is, like I said it's just my guess as to what happened. And if anyone else can come up with an alternative explanation I'm the very first to welcome seeing it!

Here's another one with only the movement number...