• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning monty hamilton dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Have a hamilton monty dial i wish to clean have been told that it is possible for red minute markers to be partially or totally removed if cleaned could someone advise me if this is correct, I would say this topic has been covered before but I could not find mention of it
I was either going to soak it or perhaps put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of minutes but do not want to learn the hard way and damage the dial

Posts: 68 | Location: New South Wales, Australia | Registered: June 21, 2015
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Jeff,

Hamilton dials are pretty tough when it comes to cleaning them. I have ruined other dials but never a Hamilton. But I guess it all depends on how you clean it. I have never put mine in an ultrasonic cleaner so I can not answer that. I use Comet bathroom cleaner on my dials. I soak them in it for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off. If it needs it a little more I may do it again for about 5 minutes. Some people use Denture cleansers the type you put the tablet in a glass of water. I have never tried anything stronger than the Comet which can be very corrosive to the metal backing on the dials if you leave the dial in too long.

Hopefully you will get some other replies.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Of course, we’re assuming you’re not talking about a Hamilton melamine dial. If so, all bets are off. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Cleaning dials gets discussed quite often , try this link

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/...rum_scope=1086047761

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1610
posted
I agree with Mark on the Melamine dial.

Harry

posted
Is enamel dial is just I saw a hamilton monty dial where the red minute markers were almost disappeared and was told that could happen when cleaning the dial as the red minute markers are not under the clear enamel coating this has left me a bit hesitant to clean this dial any experience in this matter is appreciated

posted
Well I tried to remove a bezel rub extremely gentle with a pencil eraser which succeeded in removing 90% of the bezel rub however I inadvertably rubbed across the 0 of the 20 minute marker slightly removing some of the red from the 0 proving the red is vulnerable and not under the clear enamel hopefully can be seen in photo

posted
Maybe someone with more knowledge on these dials could offer an opinion if I am right or wrong on this issue as I am unsure would be appreciated

IHC Member 1610
posted
I have never had the red fade when I clean my Hamilton dials. However find you a few old crappy Hamilton dials and practice. Start out slowwww ans see what happens.

Harry

IHC Member 2149
posted
I have used the Polident type tablet method on two occasions on Waltham dials that had 3 or 4 hairlines and had the red 10 minute Arabic numbers and was pleased with the results. I suspended them upside down for about an hour. I would advise being very careful when looping something threw the centre hole to suspend them. One of the dials was so thin at this point the enamel actually chipped a very tiny bit when slipping the thin wire I used through. I use plastic covered electrical wire. I have not had the opportunity to try it on an enamel Hamilton dial.
The Waltham dials were 16s & 18S and of 1920 and 1907 vintage. I also wipe the hairlines very gently with a small amount of bleach on a Q-tip as an added attempt to whiten any residue that might not have been removed with the dental cleaner....FWIW....
...Joe...

Posts: 70 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: June 14, 2016
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jeff,

Harry mentioned this product "Comet Bathroom Cleaner" earlier.

We have a comprehensive topic about this so click here for "Porcelain-Enamel Dial Cleaning" and the consensus is to use a commercial product known as "Comet Bathroom Cleaner" which is readily available, easy to use, pleasant smelling and does a great job. Personally, I have recommended it very highly ever since it was first suggested here on IHC several years ago. At our house we use this excellent cleaner in our kitchen and bathrooms... that way it's always available when I want to clean a watch dial. Wink Having cleaned literally hundreds of Porcelain-Enamel Dials with Comet Bathroom Cleaner I stand behind it. Carefully read the topic from my link above, observe the precautions and come to your own conclusion.

Comet Bathroom Cleaner, it is real, it is inexpensive and it is easy to find. In that topic you will see my little "dial cleaning kit" and more suggestions on how it is used.

You will find Comet Bathroom Cleaner in most grocery stores and of course Wal-Mart carries it all across the contiguous states. For reference 067811219586 is the UPC Number. At 17 ounces for for less than two dollars in our locale that is a pretty good deal. I use a slightly worn soft bristle tooth brush to scrub, rinse thoroughly in warm water then blot-dry the dial with a soft towel and LOW HEAT using an ordinary hair dryer.

I say if you try it, I promise you will like it!

Lindell

Wink

Here's the Comet Bathroom Cleaner we purchased at Wal-Mart...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks to all for your input will try some sort of bathroom cleaner I don't think we get comet over here but something will be similar no doubt

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Hi Jeff,

It is 3:00 AM here but 6:00 PM in Australia according to the World-Clock on my desk.

More about Comet Bathroom Cleaner which is a product of "Spic and Span" (A Prestige Brands Company) located in Tarrytown, New York and they mention www.cometcleanser.com as their applicable website. The Spick and Span name is huge in household cleaning products here and I would not be surprised if they are in Australia as well.

If you deal with Amazon.com they stock this product and apparently they ship it all over the world!

www.amazon.com

I have always advocated the use of gentle, not harsh cleaners, beginning with milder products and going about things slowly and methodically which can avoid a lot of issues.

And if using a Bathroom Cleaner strikes anyone reading this as odd, consider that the finish on commodes and sink basins is the same Porcelain-Enamel used on watch dials in the greatest years of Railroad Watches.

Let us know in this topic how things work out for you!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1338
posted
Lin is right Comet works good, polident is fine too.

Even if you have no hairlines, you'd be surprised how much nicer your dials will look after doing this! Clean all that dirt etc off and it'll look like new again. Big difference!

Personally I NEVER let one soak for more than 30 min max.

I too would NOT recommend putting any dial in an ultrasonic cleaner. They use vibration to clean items and if your dial has a loose piece not readily seen you stand the chance of knocking it out. Don't ask me how I know that...LOL

Don't forget all you're doing here is loosening up and removing any dirt/sediment in the cracks. It will not remove the crack, but in some instances make the line almost impossible to see.

There are some dials that will just not clean up.
You'll still see the hairline no matter what you do. Each porcelain dial is different, but this method is certainly worth a try

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Thanks fellas comet not available here even through amazon Australia can get polident here though so I'll go with it have cleaned quite a few dials with bathroom cleaners bought here OK but was bit concerned mate said whatever he used supposedly a bathroom cleaner over here affected red numbers only cleaned the dial good though

IHC Member 1110
posted
I too have cleaned a lot of dials with Comet with great results.I have never had it remove any color.The lettering/numerals are under the glaze on an original dial, so it shouldn't wash any of it out.Hairlines won't go away, but doing this makes them almost disappear.I have a 16s Bunn Special with a Gothic style Montgomery dial that has some hairlines that I thought I would have to replace it, but after using Comet on it, it looks so good I no longer have to!

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Could you show us the entire dial and perhaps a shot of the backside please ?

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Picture of dial that has partially faint 0 in 20 marker didn't take out of case for pix of back of dial but is enamel soldered hamilton dial other dial to be cleaned is at another residence at the moment is enamel momntgomery earlier model though thanks for help

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Jeff,

You are saying you attribute the "0" dulling as being from using an ordinary pencil eraser? If so, cold it be the pencil eraser was "dirtied" from previous use or perhaps the eraser was old and had hardened? Or is it possible the "bezel-rub" was so great it had gone through the clear glaze which is a protection for the numerals and markings?

Looking back at your original October 22 close-up of that "20" area I see an overall darkening and "roughness" from "14" through "21" on the marginal track is apparent. A soft pencil eraser would not do that but over the past 75-80 years or so (from the case and the dial signature your watch should be an early to mid-1940s 992B) the bezel may have. You might want to try "Rodoco" or a fresh pink eraser to go over that area, but first the dial should be taken off from the movement and then you can examine the dial under magnification to determine if that area is smooth or may have bezel-wear and therefore roughness that could be in play.

I routinely use an essentially UNUSED CONDITION very soft and very clean pink eraser in cleaning dial surfaces with no problems... but it MUST be very clean and soft to avoid any possible chafing or "roughing" of the dial surface.

A very soft, pink "block eraser" held flat can actually be of great help in "brightening" a Melamine dial, and for that matter minimizing of light bezel rub on nearly any dial. But the pink block eraser must be employed flat, with great care and understand it must be very soft and entirely clean. That "great care" part is most important in everything we do!

Lindell

Wink

posted
The 0 had no problems whatsoever until after I removed bezel rub which was removed by 90% photo makes it look worst than it actually is, pencil rubber was white new soft rubber and bezel rub never extended over the 0

posted
I agree with the others, if it is slightly dirty I use polident type tablets and a soft bristle tooth brush to get any crevices on double sunks but not brushing harshly. If the staining is deeper then I use Comet and brush on the liquid with a soft bristle brush. That usually works well but as mentioned before with the horrible melamine dials this process gets tossed since those dials sometimes fall apart just by looking at them.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009