• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Reproduction Ball Dials? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just purchased a Ball 18s 21 Jewel 999. I bought it via an ebay auction and noticed when I received it that, although well done, the dial is an enamel reproduction based on the fact that it has a "faux" single sunk seconds bit. I was wondering when these type of reproduction dials were produced. It seems that all of the repro dials I see today are not convincing at all. I couldn't tell this dial was a repro from the auction photos. I am going to keep the watch anyway because the movement is spectacular. Thanks in advance for any info!

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Hey Jim I did not know they existed can you post a picture.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Yes Robert, here is photo. You can see the seconds bit is sunk, but it isn't a separate piece...

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That looks like one of the dials sold by S. LaRose over the last twenty or so years. They look fairly good and are great for a carry watch, but of course they're not the real thing.

Unfortunately there are more Ball Watches than proper dials. This is particularly true for all the Brotherhoods and for Ball-Hamilton 18-size ORRS movements as well.

Prices for nice original Ball dials have gone up a lot in recent years.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Thanks Jim for posting the dial I can see nowit is not original but I must admit it is the first Ball one I have seen or at least noticed. If it was a 16s I could have helped you out with an original. 18S ball dials I rarely ever see.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's exactly the same dial I had Samie install on my 18s 17j 999. You can see it in my 'found a Ball today' post in the Ball section. My original dial had an AWFUL attempt at repair, and it really looked terrible. I still have that dial, and keep it with the 999. As Lindell said, it's fine for a carry situation, but won't fool a collector.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002