Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hallmark? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 708
posted
Hallmark?

Is anyone familair with this name for a size 12 or any pocketwatch.

Steve Cohen

Hallmark movement

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Steven,
Can you possibly enlarge your pic so we may be able to see the hallmark? Maybe one of our members can help with the enlargement?

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Member 708
posted
I'll try

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
I hope this is better. I think it could be an Illinois model 5

Steve Cohen

movement

IHC Member 708
posted
This is the dial

Steve Cohen

Hallmark Dial

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome aboard Steve!

It was great talking with you on the phone earlier today.

About your watch, a "Find-Or-Search" of "Hallmark" on our site brings up this topic wherein Jerry Treiman identified the private label seller as being Macy's Department Stores...

TOPIC: "Pocketwatch identify help requested" by Mark Cross

If you share the movement serial number it will help us to narrow it further. The Illinois Watch Company probably made more private labels than any other makers.

Again, it's great to have you with us.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 708
posted
The number is 3011014 and I enjoyed talking to you too!

Steve Cohen

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Steve,

Your movement number 3011014 turns out to be from a run consisting of 3011001-3012000 inclusive. Those are 12/14-size Pendant-Set, Open-Face, 15-Jewel, Model 4, Grade 503 from 1916 Illinois production and private labeled to the "Hallmark Watch Company" according the Bill Meggers listings in the Illinois Encyclopedia.

Checking into the private label names further, same source, we find "Hallmark" watches were produced by Illinois for the R. H. Macy Department Stores of New York City and three grades of 16-size as well as five grades of the 12/14-size are listed. Looks like some 5,510 of the unadjusted Grade 503 like yours were made.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks for the help, Lindell. I was trying to decide wether to buy it or not. I think i'll buy it. the price is good.

Steve Cohen

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It is frustrating how one's mistakes can haunt them. My impression that these were for R.H. Macy came from eroneous information in the Illinois encyclopedia by Meggers & Ehrhardt. In fact, the trademark was owned by United Jewelers of Wilmington, DE and later by Louis Aisenstein & Bros. of NYC. This information comes from Kurtis Meyers' "United States Horological Trademark Index"

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks! I hear you are an expert on size 12 watches. I look forward to talking to ALOT!

Steve Cohen

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Steve (and anyone else) - I look forward to discussing 12-size* watches at any time.

[* generically referring to men's watches in sizes 10 to 14]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks everbody for your help! I bought the Hallmark watch and it's very nice. You all made my decision much easier Smile

Steve Cohen