Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocketwatch identify help requested "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
My eldest daughter's boyfriend called me the other day, and told me he had picked up a small pocketwatch at a fleamarket that seemed to only need to have the missing crown replaced. Everything else was there, and it was a 17j, costing him only $20. I drove up Saturday to visit, thinking he was going to hand me a pretty standard 17j Swiss movement in a base metal case, but man, was I mistaken. What he handed me was a 12s pocketwatch in a gold filled case. The case has no brass showing, but needing polishing. It also has a glass crystal that needs the same polishing, but just general carry scratches that could be easily polished out. It had 17j in screw down gold cups, freely moving balance, and a VERY clean movement inside. The crown was missing, but the shaft was still there with good threads showing. It seems to be a stem wind, pendent set, heavy Roman numerialed dial, enamel, and marked 'Hallmark'. The name 'Hallmark' is also on the movement, along with 17j, and the serial number of 3468728. The case is also marked 'Hallmark, guaranteed 20 years'. The regulator looks so much like a Hampden regular, with the side screw that either pushes or pulls the regular whip, it isn't funny. Can anyone give me any information on what the heck he has purchased? It's a pretty heavy watch, and has all the appearance of one made just after 1900. I've had several Elgins and Hampdens from that period that would compare equally to this watch. Any ideas? This one caught me completely by surprise. Oh, the man he purchased it from got it in a box lot from an estate, and had absolute NO clue as to it's origin, or anything else, as his main business was used furniture, so he wasn't any help at all. Thanks! Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
"Hallmark" was a private label Illinois watch made for the R.H. Macy Co. They are very nice watches produced in grades from 15j (?) to 23j. Most of these are actually 14-size watches (14-size front plate) with a 12-size mechanism behind it. They take special cases (such as the marked Hallmark case in this example). The 17j model came in a couple of grades (varying in degree of adjustment). You can look up the serial number in the Illinois serial number records to get the grade number, or perhaps someone else who has the list handy can look it up for you.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Excellent!! Thank you! Based on that info, and from my Illinois info, the watch was made in 1919, so I guessed right on the approximate age! Man, he did pretty good then! I'll pass the word. If anyone has anything else to add, please do so. I'll print off this page for him to have with the watch. High regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Mark,

Jerry was on the money once again, he sure knows 12-size watches! From the Meggers-Ehrhardt book 3468728 is from a run of from 3468401 through 3468800 produced in 1919. They are 12/14-size pendant-set, open-faced 17-jewel model 4, grade 504 movements.

The Hallmark was indeed private labeled for R. H. Macy Co. of New York City. Looks like Illinois made Hallmark movements in 16-size as well as the 12/14 under discussion from 1917 through 1921.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
It does indeed! Thanks again! To think, he was looking for a junker watch to carry in the yard, and came up with this one for 20 dollars! Well, GOOD for HIM! But shoot, why can't I ever do that. Frown (grins) High regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I'm with you Mark, "Buy high and sell low" seems to be my middle name these days!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Mark, take the watch & give him $20 bucks for it and call it even. Eek Roll Eyes Big Grin

Mike Nardick

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
"Buy high and sell low" Yeah, me too, right Lin? Cool Wink

Mike Nardick

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
"Buy high and sell low"

Or, how to accumulate 10k worth of watches. First, buy 50k worth of watches. Frown

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Lindell, Mike and friends, with my luck, you and I could go to the beach to look for sea shells. You'd find some fine shells....I'd find empty, rusty beer cans. (grins) Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163