Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B Restoration "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi all,
Well I have done it again and purchased another damaged and/or rusty 992B.
Some of you are probably thinking that I am mad for taking on another rusty watch, but I love to bring these back to life even if not economically sound.
I don't have it in my hands just yet so when I get it I will post more pictures of the internal damage. In the meantime, here is what I purchased from that internet auction site.
Cheers
Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Movement

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Back

IHC Member 2030
posted
Way to go Gary. I agree with your logic to save the ones that need help.
Worth it for satisfaction in my opinion.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks Mike,
I'm not in it for the money so I could possibly purchase a running lovely version for the same overall spend but I just try to get them running again.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Everyone,
I recieved the watch yesterday and after stripping it down I have made a decision not to try and fix this as it has too much rust and I can't remove some of the screws on the clutch side.
Good case and hands and some of the plates are still good so I will be looking for a parts movement so I can move the good parts across.
Will keep you all informed.
Cheers
Gary

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Gary,

Hopefully seller disclosed these issues so you went into this with eyes Eek wide open.

If you are keeping it, consider soaking it in a good penetrating fluid in a warm and well ventilated environment prior tear-down. I agree it looks like case and hands can be cleaned-up and saved. Remember, the only number on a 992B is on the pillar plate so you may have some worthwhile parts that could fit the various Hamilton "B-series" movements without causing issues.

CBS NEWS recently did a feature story on used cars that had been subjected to recent flooding being sold in auctions and how buyers across the nation must be aware of that particular pitfall going forward.

Hope you have a happy ending.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I follow legacy collectibles on YouTube, seller of vintage firearms and military items. A recent video showed pistols that had been stored in bank vaults in New Orleans that were flooded and the resulting water damage, perhaps this watch was also a victim.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1613
posted
Tell us what you need and I know I would be willing to donate a few parts I have laying around for your project....Maybe others would be willing too...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Gary, I need the main plate as well as all the winding gears and setting parts.
I have been soaking it in penetrating fluid for the past 3 days and I still can't get some screws out. Will keep trying though.

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
rust

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
I just recieved the parts needed from Gary and to say he is a legend is an understatement.
Look for pictures soon.
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Guys,
Well it's back together again, With many thanks to Gary E. Cochran for suppling the parts I needed.
With what I have left I could possibly get some parts and rebuild another one but thats not the priority.
It will need a new dial but I have one on the way so will just have to wait on that.
Anyway here are a couple of pictures of the finished watch.

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Movement

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Back

IHC Member 1357
posted
Great job Gary

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks Roger,
I love bringing these type of watches back to life.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That can’t be the same watch! Eek

Amazing job!!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Mark,
Yes that is the same watch, all be it with some replacement parts.
Most of the top is original(what you see in the picture). The one thing I had to replace was the main plate as it had rusty parts stuck to it and some dicolourisation to the finish.
So to say its the same watch is not 100% correct, but I would say that at least 80% is.
Cheers
Gary

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Bravo!!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002