Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

American Watches With Niello Finish Cases "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Phil Stover
posted
Did any American companies, at any time in their history use Niello finishing? If so, which ones; if not, why not? Just curious.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sarasota, Florida USA | Registered: November 27, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I seem to recall that Keystone was the only US made case featuring the Niello process.

Why did others not? More than likely a lack of popularity. I also recall reading about the poisonous nature of the process with a lot of lead and sulphur dioxide involved.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Keystone is the only American case company that I am aware of that made niello cases. They were very lovely, but appear to have been made for only a few years around 1901.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a modest 12-size example. The photo does not show the greek key pattern on the edge.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The one I show above is number 5,037,755. The one below is 5,037,742. Mine are only thirteen apart but one (above) has a screw back and bezel and this one has a hinged back and bezel. Both are Keystone and have custom factory-done monograms.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

For what it's worth...

Apparently Keystone used different numbering systems for the various case finishes. For example we are able to correlate white versus yellow gold-filled and yet a third group for green in the very same case style. Looks like you're finding the same situation may hold true for the Niello Finished Cases as well.

Very interesting topic.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is another Keystone example that I recently acquired.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Not sure if the creature depicted is a dragon or a phoenix.

I see a feathered wing...therefore I vote phoenix.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I kind-of like the phoenix interpretation. The only flaw is that my creature does not have a very bird-like head. But it is probably closer to a phoenix than a dragon.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
A griffin then? Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002