Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Pocket Watch Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Found in a flea market an Illinois watch,
SN 2622765 housed in a Monitor 20 year case. Would anyone be able to provide me with details about this watch, date of manufacturer, etc? Will post a photo of the movement later. Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Wayne,
Illinois watch Serial No. 2622765 was made in 1914 and is a Bunn 17 Ruby Jewels comes from a run of 200.
It is lever set, open faced model 6, and adjusted to 5 positions.

Jim

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Jim,
Thanks very much for the information - the front/back covers were on very tight - the dial is dirty, but the movement appears to be very clean.

Illinois

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
The Flea Market find Illinois Movement

Bunn

Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Wayne,
Was the flea market in Connecticut?
I'll be on vacation there in 3 weeks time.
I will also be in the Las Vagas/Los Angles
area, if anyone knows any good markets out West.

Jim Carroll

posted
Jim,

When will you be in L.A.?

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Aaron,
Its hard to say, I fly out from Hartford on the 13th of August for an 8 day trip to Las Vegas,
so it depends on how much fun I'm having and If I keep away from the tables.

Jim

posted
just a little more info on your watch.....

if you note the movement signature... in block letters, "illinois watch company" most are signed in old english letters, "Bunn Springfield Ill."

Your watch changes the "book" a little....

This is the earliest movement seen that is marked like this.... the variant is listed to begin with serial number 2858001
This variant is listed to be about 900 movements, but with this run of watches, it increases the numbers to at least 1100.

NOte also, Meggers had initially listed the serial number run as a 21jewel bunn special, but had corrected the info...

More examples need to be seen to see if the entire run in your s/n range are 17 jewel examples.

At some point, you may want to pull the Barrel Bridge and check for matching numbers....just to be sure.

Looks great for a flea market find! congrats!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Here's the earlier Bunn-Springfield marking Terry was referring to...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Ok, you guys forced me to show my bunn (sorry about the poor quality.. gotta get one of those light defusers

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Lindell
Close up photo of dial, very light hairlines at the 2 & 11 minutes postions.

Dial

Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi can anyone tell me what the s.n. range was for this watch?mine is s.n. 2117954

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Yours is from a 100 piece run of 2117901 - 2118000. It should be quite valuable now, given Meggers-Earhard blue bible shows $150 - $200.00 23 years ago. Of course if it was a Hunter Case . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
wow David
i just got it today won it on ebay for a tick over $200.no one bid much on it as they did not show the movement our give the s.n..dose anyone know what it may be worth this day as it is not in the book?

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hey guys,

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but the fact there were 100 movements in a particular run (2117901-2118000 in 1908 production) is of little or no real consequence. What matters in Illinois variants is matching the precise movement markings which leads us to determine which variant we are dealing with. In this instance using the excerpt David shared from page 83 of the "Illinois Encyclopedia" look carefully at the production estimates where the late Bill Meggers placed "3,200" not 100 on this particular variant.

However, it might actually be better to say "approximately 3,000 were produced" of this particular variant as there are other overlapping variants that have come to light in recent years.

Anyhow what Jim has is one of the more desirable 17-Jewel Bunn variants, in fact I have one in my collection as you'll see in the image below this posting. The 2008 "Complete Guide to Watches" lists 18-size 17-Jewel Bunn in the first listing on page 278 and 175 / 250 and 450 are the current estimated values. Based on that, Jim got a good buy. All the 17 and 19-Jewel Bunns are great watches!

Lindell

Wink

Compare to 1826583 which is likely the same variant...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002