Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I Was Offered A Fusee For $20 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
it means answer your emails!

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
The left mark is called duty mark (the head of the king or queen): started 1784 to collect taxes to compensate the loss of income because someone had thrown tea in the Boston harbor. Smile

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
That hand should work 22. mm and 1.3 to 1.5 hole size.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
So far, so good. Anybody have a longer gilt seconds hand?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
What you need a second hand now. Let me drag them out. They are little harder to find.

IHC Life Member
posted
I have plenty of gold gilded including Louis hands

Second hands are a little tougher

IHC Life Member
posted
I've always wondered how to pronounce "fusee".

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
[fjuːˈziː]

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Life Member
posted
Very nice work hope you can find your hand that you need. By the way Eugene You wouldn't happen to have 18s Illinois Hand would you. I need all 3 if you do.

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
A lot of times hands need to be made smaller or larger to fit.
Even between 2 18sz Illinois. So most of the time I don't even look. I just go to my Hour Hand container. And find one that will work and then FIT it.

As you can see any time I post photos of hands there are piles of them.

My honey hole of parts for the most part is this way.

Back in the day 20s thru 50s watchmakers would take apart watches and put all 4th gears in a container, Main Wheels in a another, Hands etc, Screws, Jewels

Even eric will most likely have 2 do some fitting to get these hands to fit.

Hence the word Watchmaker. I am not professional trained but most time can get the job done.

IHC Life Member
posted
I prefer to spell it fuzee. Even if Fusee is correct.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Eric,

Well done sir! This is what makes our hobby fun - seeing someone bring a watch or clock back to life. Impressive!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Just got back online after being away for a few days.
Eric, This is an impressive watch and especially what you accomplished after only two years of experience!

I haven't been at it quite that long, but this is more than I would dare to tackle. Good work!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks, boys. Smile

After watching these on eBay for a while, it's surprising to me that cased and running fusees seldom break $100. I realize they're poor timekeepers at best and finding replacement parts that fit is seriously tough, but I find them far more attractive than the gilt "plated" stuff of the late 1800s.

And they've got loads of character and elegance when compared to the utilitarian workhorse railroad watches that command big money.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
It really depends on the maker, many are common and a few will surprise you at 200-300.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
The hands that Gene sent did the trick, and my thanks to a fellow member for helping complete this 180-year-old veteran.

Picture of John Beale
posted
I'm impressed. I wish I had that skill.

John

Posts: 222 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2010
posted
I'm impressed too, and you ought to have a look at some watch fairs if you were looking to sell it,I don't know about the US market but here in the UK pair cased fusee watches usually go for far more than £100, usually at least the £200 mark ($310 according to Google), might take a bit longer but worth the increase. Very nice watch, especially for $20 Wink.
-Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013