Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What Hands for South Bend 429? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,

i have an South Bend 429 which needs hands. Was there special lenghts available, because the 429 is a bit bigger than usual 12 size watches? Or can i use normal 12 size South Bend hands?

Andre

Posts: 40 | Location: Rietberg in Germany | Registered: November 20, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Ironically, I just received one as an early Christmas present a couple days ago, and mine has pierced hands. I've done a quick search through the past posts discussing the 429, and I've found them with just about every kind of hand set you can think of.

Needless to say, I have NO idea what's right or not when it comes to a South Bend. This is only the first one I've owned since a fleeting association with a 7j back in the 1970's, but from what I've seen so far, as long as it's a set of SB 12s hands, I think you're in the ballpark.

By the way, if I may tack on a question in this thread, what are folks opinion of the 429 19j 12s South Bend, if I may ask? Mine dates to around 1922, if my research is correct.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Mark: The 429 is a great little watch. It was made from 1912 through 1929 when the plant closed their doors.

In the South Bend Research Forum there is a South Bend Database that will give you the date and run of your watch by entering the serial number.Frank Kusumoto did an outstanding job of assembling the database. Here is the link to the page:

http://thehorologersreference.com/southbend.php

Andre: There is also a good photo database of South Bend dials etc. in the South Bend Forum.

I have some NOS hands for 12 size South Bends if you need a pair.

Here is a photo of a SB 429 from 1917 Run 15.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
EXCELLENT! According to the link you gave me, it landed solidily in 1922.

Thank you for the input!

HIGH regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Andre,

We are shipping your two books tomorrow.

If you like I can enclose a pair of gold color hands in that package.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
One more question, if I may...would my 429 be one of the mail order versions or a sandard SB, as discussed in the history writeup that Lindell wrote? The serial number is 1032656.

Thanks for any help in my research of my new watch.

HIGH regard! Mark

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Mark,

The "Mail-Order" watches were "Studebaker Watch Company" and would be marked as "Studebaker" on dial and movement, they were also 21-Jewel movements. See the catalogs and references to "Mail-Order Studebakers in the South-Bend Research Forum for additional information.

By the way, the Grade 429 was a big success, with nearly 95,000 produced it was the biggest selling watch South-Bend ever produced.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you sir. That cleared up my confusion.

Mine is all 'South Bend' marked, so I'm VERY pleased. I've wanted a South Bend for a long time after reading your history when you first posted it.

To add, we have a program on our Nashville PBS station called 'Tennessee Crossroads'. Apparently one of the last surviving members of the Studebaker family who produced the watch line settled in Tennessee and continues to repair the watches in his spare time. He has all the original paperwork and tooling from the old factory, as well several Studebaker automobiles he drives on a daily basis. He used to have a fleet, but has pared it down to 2 or 3 now. His main love is the watch work, from what they said on the show. They showed quite a few nice examples in his collection, as I recall.
Here's the contact information if you want to follow up on it:

"Studebaker Collector
When you hear the word "Studebaker," you probably think of cars. Tressa Bush meets a descendant of the Studebaker family, and finds out that he collects more than just family cars.
PHONE: (931) 839-2884
EMAIL: studiegeorge@frontiernet.net"

Anyway, thanks again!

HIGH regards, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Mark

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Mark,

George was my always patient mentor when I began to get serious about this hobby spending more time than I could ever quantify getting into hours of details on the phone. George is a very dear friend to this day, he is with us as IHC Member 279 but we have never been able to get him interested in internet postings. Frankly, the story you related from the news story is a bit overstated, George is in fact a direct descendant of Clement Studebaker but neither he nor anyone in his immediate family were ever connected in any way to either the watch or automobile business. He does not have the "original paperwork and tooling from the old factory" as unfortunately that was lost long ago when the watch company failed. Read carefully "The End of the Line" in "HISTORY OF SOUTH-BEND WATCHES" for more about that and other related information.

You may have noticed Ernie Loga's IHC185 Avatar which is the famous Studebaker "Red-Ball" emblem. Ernie, George and I are all long-time members of "The Studebaker Driver's Club" which you and others may find interesting to explore at the official SDC Website. Many of us in the SDC have an enduring love-affair with all things Studebaker-related. Smile Until recently George serviced South-Bend watches and enjoyed showing his cars, Ernie runs a successful business called Loga Enterprises that manufactures replacement interior panels for Studebakers, he also writes an SDC Chapter Newsletter, helps with judging, yes there is judging of South-Bend watches at many SDC meets! It is a wonderful organization on every level.

This would be a good point to share the fact I would never have gotten into serious watch and clock collecting had it not been for wanting to acquire a watch with the Studebaker name on it. Roll Eyes That desire, along with George Reitenour's patience with my curiosity and his understanding of my wanting to learn all I could eventually led to everything we are doing with IHC185 today.

The slogan "Always Give More Than You Promise" made Studebaker successful in the marketplace and is a good practice for all of us to follow.

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Amen to what Lindell said! George is one of the finest Studebaker and South Bend Watch people I know. He is responsible for getting many people interested in South Bend Watches.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Interesting. Well, I'm just repeating what they inferred on the program, nothing more.

Glad to hear he's well known. Shows there's just one more 'Tennessee connection' around here, and now I finally own one. Smile I just need to get it serviced now.... Wink

Regards! Mark

posted
Lindell,

thanks for the kind offer. But i need black ones and i have a source in canada for it. My only worry was, if the lenght was right, since that watch is a bit bigger than other 12 size watches i have.

So i just give it a try. If they not match this watch i put them aside and wait for the matching watch which needs them.

I am looking forward to read the books you mentioned.

Andre

Posts: 40 | Location: Rietberg in Germany | Registered: November 20, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just to bump this old nugget, my Christmas 429 is now in Chris Abell's capable hands. I'll be VERY interested in seeing how it turns out.

Thanks again for the information everyone provided.

Regards! Mark

posted
Mark,
Here is a shot of the hands on my 429.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's a nice one, Bill!

Regards! Mark