Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Sante Fe "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1247
posted
Does anyone know where one can find a lower balance jewel for a 16s sante fe movement #3466694..can not find it in swigarts and unfortunately Brian C did not have one

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mark, the Santa Fe movement is pretty standard stuff and there are only two variants that I know of having to do with which side the Jewel screws were assigned to hold the jewels to the dial plate. A serial number would help. Usually it is a good idea to match the jewel to the staff "hands-on".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1247
posted
Thanks David...the serial is 3466694 and the screws and cap jewel are dial side:I restaffed the balance and it runs great dial side up but stalls dial side down,not even sure if the jewel I had on hand was an upper or lower thats seated in there,I noticed the top piece of the two part safety roller
doesn't have much clearance from the pivot, the concave side of the top roller should be facing the pivot,right??

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The safety roller is close to the pivot. There is usually maybe 0.25mm of the staff end showing below the safety roller.

If you restaffed the movement with the correct staff, can confirm both pivot jewels are not cracked or broken when it stalls when in the dial down position, I would;

1. take out the Pallet fork and confirm that there is balance wheel "free spin" (for approx 30 sec.) in ALL positions.

2. If "free spin" is not good in the dial down position . . .

3. try polishing the staff's bottom pivot.

Pivot polishing and fitment is somewhat delicate as it involves keeping good endplay and maintaining a good fit to both jewels. That said, with a good (but tight) jewel, I find polishing the pivot to fit the Jewel easier and more reliable.

If you have not done that, get a small slip of Arkansas stone, a "steel" to burnish with and some rouge and a fresh piece of pegwood to practice on some "bad" staffs first.

First after mounting the test staff in a Jewelers lathe, use the (usually about 5-7 mm face width triangular piece x about 1-3 inches long slip) arkansas stone to remove maybe 1/2 thou from the pivot end until you can see a tiny debris pile on the stone contact face.

Then use the steel to burnish the pivot end until it is smooth (more reflective)

Then dress the pegwood with some rouge and use the pegwood to polish the pivot til it shines.

You then can then test fit this practice pivot the errant jewel on this movement.

When you feel confident, put your "real wheel" in a ballon chuck and kiss that pivot down to fit.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007