Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sometimes when you see a "Sows Ear" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nobody bids this but me Confused . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sooo . . . for $51.00 plus a new; crystal, Balance (hair) spring, Main Spring, Bottom Pivot Jewel, minute hand, and 3 hours work, this triple signed perfect dialed 21 Jewel, Illinois Burlington Watch Co., in a Horse engraved Case is a "Silk Purse"! Cool Who woulda ever "thunk" this was a 16 size from the listing pictures!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Nice watch David.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Way to go DAVID!!!!
I've got a couple like the first example off ebay, trouble is I don't have the capability to make silk purses of them as you have....but I love to see someone do as you have done! Wink

The one in the pics below is in a Silveoid case and the crown is really brassed.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
with bezel removed- 3 hairlines that I can find.
1 3min., 1 12min., 1 22min.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jerry, That's an early RR Grade Waltham in a nice classy case! It causes me great puzzlement because the 5085268 serial number was for 15 jewel adjusted movements which this is NOT! If the balance wheel is reasonably good, and the numbers all match, it is eminently restorable, and the hands are probably worth what you paid for the watch! Also, question; Are the plates Silver or Gold color damaskeened?

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks, Dave, for your input.... you are always so helpful and free with you knowledge. I appreciate it....

The plates are golden and there is also something else interesting; notice, if you will, the first photo....through the crystal, there is a golden colored ring around the face of the watch. I have never seen this effect on any other of my watches and I also might add the crystal is very thick and beveled.

Thanks again,
Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jerry, You have a Gold-Plated Movement which is exceptionally collectible. Also the case trim is why I said before you have a very classy case.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Dave, and I just realized that I did something without realizing what I was doing....I stole your string....You were talking about your beautiful restoration and I, like a dunce, kinda changed the tune.

I apologize and will attempt to mind my manners more diligently in the future.

I do appreciate the info and without you I would probably have never known exactly what I have.

Regards,
Jerry