WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ok.. second newbie question: How was two tone effect achieved? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
with a watch that has a movement that is two tone .. how is the gold tone achieved ?
it looks as though, on say one of my Seth Thomas movements, that the whole surface was plated somehow and then machined off in areas to achieve the two tone effect...
thanks ,
Lou

Posts: 90 | Location: South Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
you got it.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
2-tone movements usually carry a significant value premium, which you will see noted in Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches. But the premiums only apply if the gold plate decoration is bright, crisp and undamaged. The gold can easily be damaged or even completely removed if an incompetent watch mechanic uses an overly aggressive cleaning method.

Gold plate decoration that is dull, faded or worn off carries little, if any value premium, and in fact may be a detriment depending on the severity of the damage.

It's probably a good idea for newbies to get some experience under their belts before making any major investments in 2-tone movements. Take it easy and get familiar with some low-cost examples so you can have a good sense of what a nice 2-tone movement looks like before making any major plunges.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Ed,
Very well said, easy to see why you are the vice president and moderator of pitfalls. I just wanted to jump in here and say thanks for your service and time to IHC 185.

Thanks again,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
Sorry to be late Lou in welcoming you aboard to IHC!! Keep those questions coming, cause I know somebody will be able to answer them.

Welcome again,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Thanks for the kind words Tim. When these kind of issues come up and I see a potential pitfall, I point it out and add it to my:

newbie survival guide (at the top of Pitfalls in our IHC Members Only Forum).

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
thank you Tim for the warm welcome...
and thank you Ed for the words of wisdom....
and I thank everyone else for the words of wisdom as well...

it's refreshing to find a forum these days of this caliber that a person is welcomed and feels welcomed...

as stated in a different thread and I have to agree... it's the best 12 dollar investment I've made in many years...

Posts: 90 | Location: South Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2013
posted
You don't see too many Elgin tu-tones but Illinois, Rockford, Waltham, and Seth Thomas versions pop up with some frequency. It is nice to have at least one good example in your collection and I agree with the comments, quite often you see tu-tones that are basically washed out with none of the original look they originally had.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009