• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1888 in Sterling Silver case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up my second 1888, this one in a British sterling silver case (strange design) for just under $70, shipping and all. This one is a 13j version, nice gilt movement, with bright wheels and parts. I guess if I ever get the higher jewel versions of the 1888 I have two decent cases to put them in but the movements in my opinion are nice that are in the cases now.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A true 13J 1888 is not common, possibly an export as suggested by the case. Very collectible "as-is".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
It still has not arrived yet but since it was coming from UK via Royal mail but when it does I will post pictures. I don't mind picking up watches in the 11 to 17j range if they are not extremely common. When it arrives I will post some pictures after I clean the case, the British sterling silver case adds to the value.

posted
I finally got around to cleaning it up and taking pictures

posted
Yes that is a yellow dial that will be replaced

posted
Case Back

posted

posted

posted

posted

posted
The case and the movement appear to be made for each other since the movement still has the locating pin and the case has the special hole for the locating pin where is should be.

posted
The case hallmarks (Birmingham; 1892) match the production date of the movement.

I like those plain gilt movements made mainly for export. They were a part of the success of the american watchmaking industry.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
I picked it up off the UK Ebay site so I figured it was an export model. Now to get the crystal replaced and a coa for the movement.

posted
I just wonder if there is an estimate of how many watches were exported ?

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
I am not sure, I have picked up some Elgins off the UK site and in both cases the grades were only made in numbers of 300 each (OF and HC) versions. On the Elgins a good clue is that the dial will have USA on the dial.