Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

And More Watch Protectors - in soft rubber "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As an addition to Stephanie O'Neil's post on the subject of outer watch protectors, here are a few more examples - in flexible rubber:

Rubber watch protectors stretch over a pocket watch. They did a good job if used starting when the watch was new in which case the case within will be like new. At times, the rubber watch protector can be found hardened upon a pocket watch such that it has to be cut off. Here we have two examples which are still in fairly good condition. The one made to cover the crown is marked, “Made in England”. The other one is unmarked, but otherwise appears to be American made. They are both vintage 1939 - 1945. The English one was found with a WWII British military watch inside of it. The bow of the British Army watch had to be removed for the watch to fit inside the protector. A big disadvantage is that the watch has to be removed to wind it. The American rubber watch protector does not have to be removed to wind the watch. Both of these examples are the right size to fit a 16 size watch. Within the pages of a 1945 US Army watch and clock repair manual there is a picture of an American made rubber watch protector next to a 21 Jewel Rail Road Grade Army issue pocket watch. These have been observed upon various WWII vintage Govt. issue pocket watches and stop watches as well as upon civilian watches, including the occasional dollar-watch. Due to deterioration of the rubber, these items are not seen that often. While they don’t appear to have much dollar value, if you have one be sure to take care of it for the enjoyment of future watch collectors. Does anyone have any more information about these items?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Here is an image of the back:

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg, My rubber protector came on the Ingersoll watch that is shown in the pic. Mine is plain with no markings. Not as flexible today as it probably was when it was new. This watch was given to me about ten years ago by a family friend. The protector was on it when I got it. The case is in like new, pristine condition--obviously because of the protector.

Tom