Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newbie Refurbishing 1887 Grade 77 B. W. Raymond "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
While I'd like to tell you that wicking out the old oil and re-oiling will work, I'd be lying. The ONLY way to properly clean and oil a watch is to take it down completely. Now if you REALLY want to do it right, see this post by Chris Abell:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/4451034703

You can probably get good results by developing your own technique, but in all cases, the watch has to come apart in order to do it right. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
I understand the need to disassemble a watch in order to properly service it and I'm not trying to cheat on that.

My main reason for doing this project, aside from getting a nice old watch fixed up, is to learn how to do some basic watch repair tasks. My previous mechanical experience has all been with automobile engines and other large machines. Some day, I plan to take a watch repair course and learn to disassemble and reassemble movements but, for now, I'm just acquiring the basic tools and beginning to develop my skill with the some of the peripheral stuff.

So far, I've gotten my movement into a new case with the keyless work properly adjusted. My next step is to install the dial and hands. I thought before I did that, and while almost everything is accessible, I'd put some fresh oil in the pivots. This might help the watch, if I don't make a mess of it, and I'll gain some experience applying tiny dropletts of oil with oiling pins in the process.

Thank you for the link to Chris Abell's check list. I've printed it for future reference.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
I've been working on watches for only about eight months, but I can tell you that taking down a watch is basic watch repair.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
That's the kind of information I was looking for. One thing I've learned is that when working with watches, there are often considerations that wouldn't normally occur to me. That's why I like to ask questions before I jump into something.

I want to learn all I can. I've talked to Ferdinand Geitner about taking one of his watch repair classes (in fact he and I have picked out a subject watch for the class). It's just a matter of when his schedule and mine coincide.

In the mean time, I'll see if I can get the dial and hands on this movement.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I've got the hour wheel, dial washer, dial, and perimeter dust covers installed.

I tried installing the second hand (which came from the donor watch) but it's loose on the shaft. What is the best way to slightly reduce the size of the mounting sleeve on the second hand without damaging it?

IHC Life Member
posted
The only correct way is with a watchmakers staking set. It will have the proper stakes to slightly close the brass tube without ruining it. Lacking the staking set, you will have to find something thin enough to just fit inside the hollow brass tube. You can then VERY carefully dimple the brass tube. It is a very delicate operation.

Roger

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Roger.

As it happens, I have a watchmaker's staking set. I bought it as a collector because it looked interesting. I'll have to get it out and figure how it works.

IHC Life Member
posted
Christopher...That's great! Look for stakes that have a V or conical shaped opening. You want to find one slightly smaller than the diameter of the second hand pipe (tube). Turn the platform on the base to where the small holes are and lock it someplace where you can lay the second hand pipe up and not be in a hole. Bring the stake down thru the stand and onto the end of the pipe. Using a brass hammer, very lightly tap the stake, but NOT hard enough to bottom it on the second hand. You just want to close the end up enough to grip the second hand post.

Roger

IHC Life Member
posted
I understand the principle of how the staking set should be used but I couldn't find a stake that looked right. I was going to see Mr. Geitner about another project so I brought along the watch and my staking set.

He said I didn't have the correct stake in my set. It didn't matter anyway because the second hand was properly sized. I was getting the tube in the gap between the dial and the second hand shaft, instead of on the actual shaft (good thing I didn't start hammering on it with the wrong stake).

I need to resolve my "optical issues" before I go any farther (I need new glasses).

This has been an interesting project for me. I've learned how to get a movement in and out of its case, I've learned about dial washers, keyless works and adjusting crown sleeves, and I've learned how to get dials and hands on and off. I've gotten experience working with very small parts using newly acquired tools and, in the process, I've put together a nice old Elgin engineer's watch that ticks right along and keeps good time.

When I learn how, I'll take it apart and give it a thorough servicing.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.