Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My New Waltham Model 1908 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone;

As a collector of nothing but 18s American made pocket watches, this is the first for me. I bought/won this one from eBay and I paid $143. for it. It's a very clean movement and has that gold star thingamajig dohickey. That's the scientific name for it, I don't know the common term. Sorry.

I was hoping that you keen eyed collectors out there would give me your honest (and brutal if necessary), opinion on this watch as I know absolutely nothing about the Waltham model 1908 Grade 645. Is it a nice movement? Collectible at all? And, least important, was that a decent/fair price to pay? Oh, and it does have a sunken face, only it's pressed in and not real heavy.

I'd appreciate any help, so thank you all for looking. Here's a few photos to help your thoughts perhaps?

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A fine example of a very nice "Collector's Pick".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you David, I appreciate the comment. I noticed when I checked a database of Waltham serial numbers that this watch's serial numbers ran from 17130501 to 17131000. Does this mean there were only 500 of these made?

Bud

quote:
A fine example of a very nice "Collector's Pick".

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Yours was made in the fourth run of sixty six runs, Bud, and there were 59300 made all together....

A very nice looking watch....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bud, This watch deserves the considerable respect that Waltham earned for manufacturing a Purpose-made Railroader's watch (845 in 18s, 645 in 16s) which began in 1900 or so with even some 19J Model 99 645s. Those are Rare (pic below).

Yours is completely "correct, and is what a Railroader could afford and get the very best. This watch was RR from the gitgo;

40+ Hour TRUE JEWELLED Motor Barrel (the best of the best incl Hamilton)

Fully Jewelled Wheel Train with a capped Escape wheel Jewel set.

5 Position adjustments + Temp & Iso

Beautifully Circular Damaskeened plates.

Ball Quality fit, finish and servicability.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Nice 645 Bud. The regulator as far as I know which isn't far is called a "Church Patent Star Regulator" named after one of Walthams guys.

On my later 1919 Waltham 645 they changed the regulator to an "Ohlesen's Patent Figure-8 Regulator". Not as pretty as the earlier design which was used on many sizes and up till 1918 from the examples I've come across.

I find the 645's to be a bargain compared to the Cresent St. Riverside, etc and keep very nice time.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
posted
Glad to see all the positives on the 645. Even as a novice these seemed under valued and I have had a favorite search on Ebay from the beginning of my serious collecting. I've picked up some nice ones under a $100 and very nice ones for around $150. I like the Riverside 19j also.

I bought a very nice 23j Vanguard that frankly is not as apealing as the best 645 I acquired. When I stray from Hamilton and Illinois...this is where I go..

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
posted
In my repro Benj Allen 1917 catalog the 645 movement retailed for 44.50, in comparison the 992 Hamilton movement retailed for 32.50 I have a 645 and a 845 and they both are very good. Jeff

Posts: 75 | Location: Arkansas in the USA | Registered: March 06, 2010
posted
I have the 19j Riverside pendant set, I am not sure which they made the most of LS vs PS but I think the price was the same on both versions. These are nice watches and for the most part overlooked.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009