• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Columbus Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone give me further info on an 18s H/C I believe 15j transitional Columbus watch, serial # 28757. I have not recieved it yet, but am just trying to gather some info on these watches. Where were they in the scheme of American watch makers. I say transitional as it has what appears to be a stem and also a key/wind on the movement. There appears to be little information on them, and I can't find my Complete Guide. I'll try to get pics when I get it.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bill, I belileve that Columbus W.Co. was formed by Mr. Dietrich Gruen during his beginnnings onto the US Watch market and before he developed a Swiss watchmaker to make his famous "Gruen" named species of watches . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Meanwhile the Columbus Watch Co was briefly re-organized as the Ohio Columbus watch Co., . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
the New Columbus Watch Co., and then sold to Mr. Studebaker who merged the assets into South Bend Watch Co.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Bill,

I can add very little to the great information David shared.

Only 2 points, the Columbus Watch Company listing in the "Complete Guide to Watches" is on page 166 through 172 of the 2009 Edition. A short version of Lindells "History of South-Bend Watches" appears at the top of page 370 and the very informative more complete story is right here:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...64101939/m/398107005

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Wow Dave, great examples and that dial on the right, in the 1st photo is beautiful. Have not seen one like that, thanks for posting them.
RAY

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Those early dial-makers were artistic little devils! Wink

posted
Hi David
Thanks for all the info. I have located my Price Guide and now have to determine whether this watch is the 15j gilded adj H/C K/W K/S or the lesser one that is the K/W K/S 15j gilded with the GJS. They used both the pressed jewels and the set jewels.
Oh well I'll wait until it arrives. BTW very nice examples, both movements and dials.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Didn't South Bend continue to make pretty much the same watch,and simply changed the design of the balance bridge.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
David, I'll trade you your very own custom-made display case for that Columbus in the top right pic Cool.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eric, I sent you an e-mail about that offer. Cecil, South Bend seems to have run a short evolutionary course from the Columbus look to a more serious attempt at their own "styling", but it would be interesting to see if the train wheels are still the same . . .