Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I GIVE UP !!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
You know this is going to sound crazy but this gets VERY frustrating! I can not find a 18s Hamilton parts movement. I have a couple of movements that need parts (screws, micro regulator spring, dial screws, etc...). Occasionally I need a jewel.

Every time I find what I think is a parts watch it is something simple and I end up fixing it. I got a 925 in a few weeks ago. It was missing the micro regulator spring and did not run. I wound it up and it started working. So not wanting to destroy a working watch I started looking for a parts watch AGAIN to fix the micro regulator spring.

Today I got in a 924 that was advertised as not running. The only thing I see is the mounting screws are missing. I'm thinking alright I don't have to destroy a working 924 and I can use it as parts. I check and it is overbanked so I fix that then when I try to wind it the mainspring is slipping. I take the cover off and take the mainspring barrel out and the top was loose and the T-end had come out of the slot so I took the mainspring out and re-wound it and oiled it put the top back on and put back into the movement. I wound it up and it is still running fine.

I give up. It looks like I am going to have to take a PL 924 that has a bad staff and use it of parts. It is pretty easy to replace a staff and that is why I did not want to use it for parts but I can't keep buying non running 18s watches for parts watches and finding they just need minor repair to get them going.

I know everyone would like to have problems like mine but really it does get frustrating.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Harry, that goes along with something I've long believed...

"You just can't kill these watches!"

Be well my friend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
now ding dang durn it all , that'un there pardner,is ,fer bedder or fer wurse , a jen ewe wine WOTCH CULLECKTER Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Harry-

It has been a problem for me with South Bends for a long time. I cannot take a good watch and tear it down to make a higher grade one better. I currently have a 323 the studebaker and another south bend 312 both just needing the double roller pallet fork. Needless to say I have seen 2 complete, but not running south bend 313's (which I could rob from) go for under $100.00 each. I could easily purchase one of these and rob the pallet fork, but don't think these watches have done anything to warrant being cut down to parts... Needless to say the only opportunity I have had for a double roller movement that is truely parts was a 313 that had no case or dial, and was missing the complete balance. It ended up bringing $46 for it! needless to say It looks like I would be from the monetary standpoint better off to buy a complete one to rob and have a dial and case to boot, but can't bring myself up to do it... and so the search for parts movements to get the parts from goes on...

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Gosh, How many times have I got a parts watch in and now it sets in the pile waiting for a minute part and it will run. This happens with all brands not just Hamilton. I just can't destroy a possibility....
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Harry,
It’s happening here too. Keep getting Illinois model 9s for parts and it’s either a mainspring or something just as simple to fix. The last one had a stuck click so I took it off, the spring out straightened it, put back together and the watch runs. Got a Burlington not running the balance cock was loose and the watch was overbanked. Pulled it out put it back and it runs. If they want to run that much let um. . I can’t find it in me to part them out either. Reminds me of the Beatles song, “Let It BE.”
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Keep up the good work Harry I love hearing saving watches. I will email you if I dig out anymore hamilton movements.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Thanks Rob.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
do you think car junk yard owners have this same problem? Maybe someone who restores old cars? yup, when you like something it is tough to destroy it, you almost want to fix them all, BUT we can't, the parts gotta come from somewhere unfortunately. I figure we are lucky that Hamilton made so many 924's (nearly a million made I suspose) so we can bring back to life a few unfortunate soles who otherwise wouldn't be so lucky. Where else you gonna get a plate screw for an old Ball & co watch? THANK GOD FOR ALL THEM OLD non-running 924's.

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'd imagine every watch collector has the same problem; A few watches that need one part or some little thing to get it going. Maybe we could post a joint list of all these dust collectors, and see if we can get some match-ups. to help each other make some trades and get some of these going again.

I don't have anything of real value, but hate to toss them out. And I like the idea that someday I'll get what I need to fix them. For instance, right now, I need a good balance for an Elgin 554, Some parts for a Felsa 690, A case for a Caravelle, and a bezel for a Wyler.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Dave I think we have that! It is the Want to buy or trade area. That area Works. I was fortunate to find a 17sz Sangamo case there.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Gene I shoulda kept the 17s case!!! jk It went to a good home. Now I am in need of an early 17s movement and case to put my montgemory 24 hr 17s dial on!!!

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009