Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 387 17J - Needs a staff "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
A friend dropped this watch off. But I've found a broken balance staff. I'm not equipped to repair this and wondering what the cost might be these days so I can tell him what it might be.
Very nice looking, wants to run face down, and probably worth repair.
Need some estimate so I can tell him what to expect.
Also wondering how old it might be. The Elgin database lists these from 1910 - 1945. I suspect it close to the end of the run?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Here is some data from a serial No look-up
Grade: 387
Manufacturer: Elgin
Manufacturer Location: Elgin, Illinois
Movement Serial Number: 30636380
Grade: 387
Model: 7
Class: 110
Estimated Production Year: 1928
Run Quantity: 2,000
Total Production: 357,700
Size: 16s
Jewels: 17j
Jewel Material: Ruby & Sapphire
Jewel Setting: Screw-Set
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Nickel
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Double Roller: Yes
Barrel: Going
Balance Type: Expansion
Train: Quick
Regulator: Moseley
Hairspring: Breguet
Adjusted: No
Railroad Grade: No
U.S. Patents: 596407
Data Research: c.1950 Elgin Serial List

The staff is an 861 readily available (me and others)

Staff
Part Factory Part Number
Staff: Balance 861

Mel

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Melvin, I looked at that data.
Mostly interested now in what the cost for repair will be and who can do it.
I don't do staffs!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave,

The cost depends on who is doing it and whether it is going to be done right or not. The question seems simple enough...just replace the staff. Well there is more to it than that and I'll explain how I would do it. First I need to know the pivot size of the staff I need. The same staff part number can have several different pivot diameters. Now spend some time finding the right replacement staff. I need to remove the balance cock from the movement and tear down the movement so I have just the plates. Check balance jewels for any damage, clean, oil and replace them. Take my new staff and fit it to the movement by itself. Check for endshake, sideshake and overall fit. After removing the hairspring and roller table, taking note of which side of the balance the roller jewel was and the general position of the hairspring, cut the hub off the old staff on the lathe. Check the roller jewel to make sure it isn't the least bit loose and re-shellac as necessary. Rivet the balance to the new staff and put the roller table on making sure it isn't going to split in the process. Poise the balance so the watch will run well in positions. Put the balance with roller table in plate and replace the balance cock. Check for nice free spinning and truth of balance wheel in all positions and recheck endshake and sideshake. Remove the balance and install the hairspring. Put this assembly back on the plate and check to see that the roller jewel is exactly between the banking pins at rest for the initial beat adjustment. Set the balance in motion and see that the balance oscillates for at least a full minute and comes to rest in a smooth, not jerky manner. Now you can remove the balance assembly and place it on a balance tack, cover it and work on the rest of the movement. BTW, to be honest, I would have already cleaned the plates and examined the rest of the parts before starting on the staff replacement.

Because there are so many "gotcha's" it's hard to place a set number on the job but just to give you a rough idea, figure about $50 for the staff replacement portion of the service.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Roger, Appreciate the detail. I'm sure this watch needs all of that.
But, as you know a majority of these old watches aren't worth the cost of a proper repair.
And again, it's not my watch, so that's the owners decision. I think it was his Father's, and he may not care what the cost is.
Just my take on it. FWIW
I'll pass this information on. You might get the job!

Dave Turner