Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Regulating Non-Micrometric Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I'm having difficulty regulating watches than don't have some sort of fine screw adjustment.

When I try to move the pointer, it flexes until the friction in the hub is overcome. When the hub finally rotates, it goes way too far. This makes it nearly impossible to make a fine adjustment.

I'm sure there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. My way is clearly not the right way. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
Chris, They frustrate me to, especially if I want to do a fine adjustment.

I use a round wood toothpick and try to lever or roll it against the side of the pointer. That sort of works and does not mark the movement. I wish I knew of a tried and true method.

You might go past the adjustment you want, but eventually you will probably hit the right spot or get close, if you don't give up first.

Brainstorming now - how about a jig to mount the watch in and a long fine threaded screw on the jig that would screw in and bear against the side of the pointer??

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
First put a tiny amount of watch oil at the joint between the hub and regulator arm. Add a little more into the split gap of the regulator arm hub ring. Using a tweezer gently work the arm back an forth within the range of the regulator scale. After a few cycles it should then have less "stick slip".
Note: "stick slip" is also a problem with the micro-adjustable regulators for the same reason. When servicing a watch I always lube these parts.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007